Motorola Takes the Lead in WiMAX Equipment Sales
Communications market research firm Infonetics Research has said in one of its recent reports that the worldwide WiMAX equipment market, including fixed and mobile WiMAX equipment, increased 59% sequentially to $363 million in 1Q08.
Infonetics’ report has mentioned that Mobile WiMAX (802.16e) equipment saw a significant hike in sales which jumped 141 percent in first quarter 2008, while overtaking the revenues from Fixed WiMAX (802.16d) equipment for the first time.
This increment in Mobile WiMAX equipment sale was result of number of new network rollouts, while existing networks continued to scale up during first quarter of the current year.
“We expect healthy growth for the evolving mobile WiMAX market, which is seeing strong adoption not only from Tier 2 and 3 carriers, but from Tier 1 nationwide operators as well, like Sprint-Clearwire in the US, SK Telecom and KT in South Korea, Wateen in Pakistan, BSNL in India, and Vodafone and Orange in new territories,” said Richard Webb, wireless analyst for Infonetics Research.
Other highlights from the report:
- Motorola takes the lead in overall WiMAX revenues in 2008 after increasing its worldwide mobile revenue share by 10 points, and is the first vendor to exceed $50 million in mobile WiMAX revenue in a single quarter, according to Infonetics’ estimates
- Alvarion continues to lead in worldwide fixed WiMAX equipment revenue share, but is getting a run for its money by Telsima, which increased its revenue in 1Q08
- The nascent mobile WiMAX phone and Ultra Mobile PC segments showed early traction, together increasing 171% sequentially in 1Q08; these devices have appealing, non-traditional form factors and capabilities and will play a major role in attracting new subscribers to mobile WiMAX networks
- The number of fixed and mobile WiMAX subscribers topped 2 million worldwide in 2007 and is expected to triple by the end of 2008
[Via Cellular News]
- PTCL’s Broadband Revenues 219 Times Up in Q1
- Broadband Users in Pakistan Tops 0.81 Million
- Not that Catchy – Economic Indicators of Pakistan Telecom for Q1 2008
- Naeem Zamindar Included in World Wimax Forum BoD
- Cellular Companies urge higher APC Revenues instead of sharing it with USF
- Rumor: Telenor to Launch WiMAX Operations in Pakistan?
- NetSol Posts Healthy First Quarter