Warid Goes Public with its 4G LTE Deployment Plans
Warid Telecom of Pakistan today went public with press ads (produced above) about its plans for going 4G LTE, to possibly become the first operator in the market to deploy 4G LTE network in the country.
A single sentenced message along with mention of 4G LTE clearly indicates that Warid is pretty much done with its homework and is now all set to go up with the 4G plans.
Despite not participating in recently held 3G / 4G auction, Warid has decided to go 4G LTE with its available spectrum that it had bought in 2004.
If you are not familiar with how they will do it, then go ahead and read our previous coverage on the same topic here.
- Warid Urges to Deploy 4G Network with Existing License
- Zong to Take Several Months for Launching 4G Services
While there were hints that Pakistan Telecommunication Authority might not allow Warid for deploying 4G LTE, today’s press ads hint that PTA and Warid have reached a settlement. We don’t have confirmations from PTA on this though.
Last we heard was that PTA might not allow Warid to deploy 4G since it could unbalance the industry. Moreover, according to IM for 3G and 4G licensees, no new operator would be allowed to launch 3G / 4G services for 18 months as part of government’s agreement with spectrum winners.
While we don’t have official confirmation on regulatory approvals, as we said above, it is now certain that against all odds Warid has managed to convince PTA for the 4G LTE deployments.
We know that Warid CEO was to meet with Chairman PTA during this week and apparently things went successful on Warid’s part.
If sources are to be believed then Warid is aiming to run the test on 4G LTE in last week of May 2014, while its already in process of deploying 4G LTE network in 5 cities, which it will announce after successful tests accordingly.
On a related note, Warid sent an SMS broadcast to its customers the other day to tell them that Warid will announce new data technologies in days to come.
Warid has currently around 12 million subscribers. It has 8.8Mhz spectrum from 1800Mhz band in addition to 5Mhz in 900Mhz band, which it had bought at the time of launch in 2004.
Not to mention, Zong has said that it may take several months to launch 4G network, however, this may change after Warid’s announcement today. Zong was only 4G spectrum winner in April’s 3G and 4G Auction.
- PTA to Approve Warid’s 4G LTE Launch After Inspecting Quality Standards
- All Four Operators Bag 3G Spectrum, While Only Zong Took Home 4G license
- All Four Operators Bag 3G Spectrum, Zong Took Home 4G License
- Warid Confirms Its customers About 4G LTE Launch in September
- Confirmed: Ufone, Mobilink, Telenor and Zong Submit Sealed Bids for 3G / 4G Licenses
- Warid Conducts Successful 4G LTE Trials with Plans to Invest USD 400 Million in Pakistan
- Breaking: Warid Urges to Deploy 4G Network with Existing License