What is 3G?
- 3G (third generation) is a collection of international standards and technologies.
- 3G increases efficiency by improving the performance of mobile wireless networks.
1G – 2G – 3G
- 1G – Analog networks
- 2G – Digital wireless phone on circuit switched networks
- 3G – Digital wireless phone on packet switched networks
- Up to 144Kbps in a high-speed moving environment (Present)
- Up to 384Kbps in a low-speed moving environment (Present)
- Up to 2Mbps in a stationary environment (Future)
Note: The speed for 2G is 9.6 kbps – 14.4 kbps.
World’s First 3G Netowrk
On May 30, 2001, NTT DoCoMO launched the world first application of W-CDMA, one of the IMT – 2000 global mobile communications standards.
With a maximum downlink transmission speed of 384 kbps.
- Take on-line shopping for example. You will be able to view and select still images of merchandise, then make payments from your electronic wallet (Digital Catalog Shopping).
- Video Mail
- Mobile Banking
- Digital Information Delivery (Audio and Video)
- Directly connect to a home automation system and be able to turn on/off home appliances such as lighting and air conditioners.
- You will have a greater control of your home security system by displaying security monitor images on your cellular phone terminal display.
- You will be able to view plays, concerts, and sports events in real-time.
- You will be able to download your favorite music, movies, and games at your leisure.
- You will be able to use the electronic encyclopedia, even with photographs.
- Retrieve vital business information from anywhere around the world.
- Conduct video conferencing with branch offices and business partners.
- Send/receive customer and sales data.
- Greater efficiency
- Lower development costs
- Backward compatibility with 2G standards
- Key benefits:
- Up to double voice capacity of the network.
- A 10-fold increase in data speeds, from 14.4 kbps to 144 kbps.
- An approximately 50 percent increase battery performance life in standby mode.
- Not all handsets are 3G ready
- Higher revenue consumption
- Network roll-out investment
Revenues From 3G
- Charging for network access and airtime.
- Charging for content and value-added services or transactions (NTT i-mode).
- No one can really predict how much impact 3G will have on our lives, but the impact will certainly be great.
- There will be a lot of e-commerce opportunity once the 3G is wildly used; however, finding the one golden opportunity is going to be challenging.
And Where is 3G
- Please discuss in comments!