PEMRA has recently formulated fee structure and rules for Digital Cable TV in Pakistan. Authority is envisioning the completion of enriched Digital Cable TV network deployment till 2015.
However, it looks that the rollout is somewhat mismanaged and mis-planned by all the cable operators. It is apparent that either they are fully prepared to go digital, or they are contented with their current analog cable TV system. This is why they are not advertising the new cable TV system, but tiny tickers on the screens.
What we mean by digital cable TV services?
By Digital cable TV we may mean broadcasting TV channels on digital signal. If we keep end user in mind then, it may mean cable TV channel that we watch in analog transmission will be more enhanced in picture quality and sound.
The digital cable TV system will facilitate customers with 200+ TV channels inclusive of 80 analog channels. Analog channels can be viewed without the digital receiver they will provide for using digital cable TV services.
What involves in digital cable TV package?
- STB (Digital Cable Receiver)
- RSA Cables, commonly called A/V cables for connecting with TV.
- Remote with batteries
- 10 or 30 Meter cable from tower to home.
Like Analog Cable TV, Digital Cable TV pricing has no standard as well. Common prices that are being offered by cable operators are:
- First Time charges would be ranging from PKR 4000-5000 inclusive of STB’s price.
- Per Month line rent charges would be PKR 300 / 400 per month, this will include analog and digital cable charges.
What you should know before buying Digital TV Package from cable tv operator?
- Existing analog cable TV will remain in the same place, while for digital service separate connection will be installed.
- Ask for RJ-7 or Higher Grade cable from your cable TV operator.
- STB Manuals.
- Ask your Cable operator for STB Return policy (if any), like if you change your area then will it possible for you to use same STB in different area. As this could be possibility that receiver is encrypted with different module and can only work in the same area where you are residing.
No doubt, it is best step by PEMRA to take the ICT to the next level. Though, it is bit late as world is now experiencing more enhancements in the same arena.
While with that, PEMRA also need to provide guidelines to customer about the new services by publishing guidelines in media. This will not only help in educating customer about new services but will also help PEMRA and Cable TV operators in achieving customer trust about these services.
As just in my surroundings most of the people believe that digital TV Cable offered by local operators might get be blocked soon (As they don’t know it’s legally broadcasted) – along with there are other fears in the mind of customer.