How to Use WiFi Modem as a Secure Wireless Hotspot
7 years ago
This is a guest post by Ahmed Ali Khawaja who writes on Guppu.com
I use PTCL EVO as my primary Internet connection. As you may know Its a USB dongle which connects with my Laptop – Now, sometimes when I need to access Internet on my other devices such as net-book, cell phones, etc simultaneously I end up with no option to share my EVO’s internet with them.
This feature of Windows 7 "Set up a wireless Ad Hoc Network" comes really handy in such situation. Just In few clicks I can access my EVO’s Internet on my all other devices. This can work with all WiMAX dongles too, meaning that you can share your Wateen, wi-tribe, Qubee internet with other computers, devices too. So give it a try – it’s a life savior.
How to Define AD Hoc Network:
The first thing to do is to access "Set up an Ad Hoc Network" wizard. To get the wizard going, search it from the start menu.
- Click On Start Button
- Type "ad hoc" in search box
- Click "Set up a wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network"
- Click Next
- Now "Fill in the blanks". Your times starts now and no cheating :P
ummm ok let me help you on this "but don’t tell anyone".
- In Network name write whatever you want to call your network. I choose "NGTECH"
- Security type: Select "WEP" ( WEP is an older security method. But it works on most of the devices flawlessly. so choose this.)
- Security Key : Type the security key.
In WEP Security method you can set up a key that is only 5 or 13 characters long.
- Optional Step : Tick "Save this network" in case you don’t want to create a temporary network. But this option sometimes create an issue and gives limited access error when I hibernate pc. You can try what works best for you.
- Click Next
- Click "Turn on Internet connection sharing" and Tada you are done.
In case you face any problems while setting up AD HOC network then share in comments.