It appears that Pakistan Telecommunication Authority has delayed the auction of 3G licenses in Pakistan, by few weeks at least.
Formal announcement for change in schedule is yet to be made, however, an advertisement published in print media today (and available on PTA’s website) hints that auction will be delayed by couple of months.
Advertisement said that PTA is looking for a consultancy firm of international repute to offer services for the auction of 3G license. Interestingly the last date for submitting EOI (Expression of Interest) for consultancy services is March 26th, 2012, that’s just three days ahead of scheduled 3G auction date of March 29th, 2012.
PTA was under heavy criticism from opposition senators on modalities of 3G auction. A senate’s standing committee on Telecom and IT later asked PTA to make amendments in 3G policy by incorporating following:
- Auction 3G licenses only, and remove the terms 4G/LTE and technology neutral from licensing draft
- 4G/LTE will be licensed later for earning more money
- Increase the base price from US $ 210mn to US $ 291
- No defaulter will be able to participate in the bidding – PTCL in this case
- 50% of the licensing amount will be paid in 30 days and rest will divided in 5 equal installments in local currency
Another possible change in 3G policy could be regarding the qualification of bidders having common directors at parent groups.
Our sources at PTA tell me that final date for auction is yet to be decided. They said that authority will now make sure that everything is all set to go ahead with auction before announcing the final date of 3G auction.
We could not get official word on this from PTA’s spokesperson.
Check below PTA’s advertisement requiring consultancy services: