By Naveed Ul Haq
Community members from Internet Society (ISOC) Pakistan Islamabad Chapter (In-formation) recently celebrated the approval of initial Chapter’s application during 10th community meeting.
Community members from Islamabad and surroundings are presently in process of chartering a local ISOC chapter with a purpose to serve the interest of local community while focusing on the issues of local relevance related with the Internet.
Internet Society or ISOC is an international, nonprofit organization founded during 1992 to provide direction in Internet related standards, education, and policy. According to ISOC its mission is "to assure the open development, evolution and use of the Internet for the benefit of all people throughout the world".
ISOC Chapters bring together people who reside in a particular geographic region (such as a city, country, or larger area), or who share an interest in a specific Internet related subject(s). These chapters assist in the open development, evolution and use of the Internet for the benefit of all people throughout the country, community, regions and cities.
Internet Society (ISOC) Pakistan Islamabad Chapter (In-formation) is envisioning the following scope of work:
- Promoting Internet access among community of interest (geographical area).
- Promoting education, awareness and capacity building for Internet issues including the next generation of technologies and protocols.
- Building partnership with multi-stakeholders including but not limited to government, private sector and civil society.
- Encouraging local content and services development.
- Identifying opportunities to utilize Internet for social and economical development.
- Running as a Not-for-Profit organization / society with open, transparent and competitive basis under an aim to serve the community.
During its 10th meeting, community members cherished the occasion over a cake followed by formal proceedings of the meeting. The community efforts were applauded jointly as well as recognition was given to each member who has so far contributed for chapter formation process.
The chapter meetings are held every month featuring a volunteer talk, inclusive discussions and chapter formation process. The community members have started drafting the by-laws for the chapter (in-formation) before receiving a charter status from Internet Society.
In order to be part of the discussion, building consensus and moving ahead to form more vibrant and active ISOC Chapter(s) in Pakistan community is openly invited join a mailing list at https://elists.isoc.org/mailman/listinfo/isoc-in-pk.
Everyone is invited to come forward, contribute and be part of the process. ProPakistani is among the organizational partners for the ISOC Pakistan Islamabad Chapter (in-formation).
Please visit: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ISOC-Islamabad-Chapter-In-Formulation-Pakistan/357956614223680?fref=ts for more information and updates.