By Muhammad Ashhar
Project Glass by Google is wearable computing glasses that work just like hands-free computers. Project glass has a camera, display screen and a battery hidden inside the frame. It looks that Project Glass will see a public release in 2014 at the earliest.
Latest news is that developers will be able to get hold of ‘explorer edition’ units at some point in 2013 with a “broad consumer offering” arriving a year later.
Working of Project Glass:
Project Glass is based on cloud computing. It has transmitters to transfer data to cloud using WIFI internet.
Project Glass will probably use a transparent AMOLED display to put information in front of your eyeballs. It is location-aware thanks to a camera and GPS, and you can scroll and click on information by tilting your head, something that is apparently quite easy to master. Project glass will also use voice input and output.
Communicates directly with the cloud via IP.
Project glass has transmitters which can transmit information (Data) directly to cloud by using internet through WiFi .
You can store any data to cloud, get the stored data any time through cloud. This data can be videos, images, text or anything for that matter.
We can use web searches by using voice as input information and using internet through WiFi. We can see search websites on display screen in front of our eye.
Appointment alerts and creation:
If you save any appointment in it then project glass will remind you by displaying it on screen.
By using camera we can take photos by just saying “Take a photo of this”.
In project glass, active matrix (AM) OLED displays stack cathode, organic, and anode layers on top of another layer – or substrate – that contains circuitry is used.
The pixels are defined by the deposition of the organic material in a continuous, discrete “dot” pattern.
We can do video chatting through project glass using VoIP, or “Voice over Internet Protocol.” The method transmits voice via electronic networks. Camera and internet is used for video chatting.
Intelligent real-time weather information:
Project glasses will show you weather information on screen by only watching the sky. This function also works using camera and internet technology.
We can find maps and get direction on project glass by using Camera and GPS, Navigation is enabled by tilting the head to scroll. All the directions are displayed on screen in front of eye.
If subway service is suspended, then Google Glass will show a message on screen advising to use any other way.
This function works using GPS and internet technology.
Voice input and output:
This is main feature of project glass. We do not need to type any message. Instead of this we use our voice as an input and to send message.
Android Operating System
Project glass will use Android as an operating system. Android is a primarily a smartphone operating system designed for touch screen mobile devices such as smart phones and tablet computers. It is currently developed by Google in conjunction with the Open Handset Alliance.
WiFi and Bluetooth:
Project glass has WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0 technology. Through WIFI we can use internet and through Bluetooth we can connect to other Bluetooth enabled devices.
- A spectacle based computer to reside directly on your eyes rather than in your pouch or pocket.
- A useful technology for all kinds of handicapped/disabled people.
- You don’t need to type to write your message. Your voice is the main input.
- Fast access of maps, documents, videos, chats and much more.
- Can be easily broken or damaged. Though Google want this glass to be as modest as achievable, they seem to be extremely breakable. Users will have a tough time taking care of it.
- This glass show the retrieved data in front of users eyes so it will be a tough experience for them since they will focus on that data and will eventually miss the surroundings that may lead to accidents while driving.
- Users already wearing glasses won’t be able to wear this.
- Privacy of people may breach with new glass.
- It requires an internet wifi connection. If you don’t have a wifi you can’t use it
- Google Glass will replace mobile phones in coming time. There will be no need to use mobiles to call or SMS.
- Google glass will revolutionize social networking usage. You will be able to share your data with others while doing so many other tasks, on the go.