Just in case if you have missed, Google yesterday enabled offline “Google Maps” feature for Pakistan, which means you can download certain parts of “Google Maps” and store it on your phone locally for offline viewing when you don’t have internet.
Whole idea is that you are shown a part on “Google Maps” that can be downloaded, with all routes, places of interests, addresses, navigation and all other information on your phone for viewing it offline when you don’t have internet.
How to Download Google Map Offline
- Open Google Maps on your phone
- Click on menu on left top
- Click on Offline Areas
- Select the area on Map that you want to download
- Click on “Download“
Once this map is downloaded, you will be allowed to browse the map are you selected even when you’re offline. You can even search for addresses that come under this region. Even navigation routes for any address are saved on your phone for offline access.
- Since Google Maps is populated by users over time, any locally downloaded “Offline Area” will expire in 29 days. Your maps will redownload with new data. This is a precautionary measure which ensures that your offline maps remain updated.
- During our testing, we have noticed that Navigation isn’t optimized for offline areas and you may not always get the best route for reaching any address when using the maps offline.
- Actual size of Offline Map for Islamabad/Rawalpindi was 57MBs instead of 300MBs that Google estimated earlier so depending on your choices, your mileage will vary.
- You can download more than one “Offline Area”, so you can keep storing maps of plenty of different places at any given time. However, you’re only limited by the storage space you have on your phone.