Uber Launches in Pakistan, Will Cost Rs. 13.7 per KM
7 months ago
Exactly like we told you earlier, the largest taxi dispatch companies in the world — Uber — has officially launched its services in Lahore, Pakistan. Launch plans were officially disclosed to media during a pre-launch briefing held today at Barcelos, Lahore.
Loic Amado, Uber’s International Launcher for Middle East & Pakistan, and Amna, Uber’s head in Pakistan, revealed the details.
According to Loic, Uber has been downloaded by thousands of Pakistanis already.
He said that cities choose us, instead of Uber choosing cities. “The interest has been incredible in Lahore, so we are extremely excited to be launching here first. Anyone can now enjoy an affordable, reliable and safe ride at the push of a button thanks to uberGO”, said Loic during his briefing at the event.
Uber will be launched in Karachi and Islamabad during next few months.
Uber said that its launching the service in Pakistan with a cash as well as the usual electronic payment option – one of the first Uber cities globally to do so.
To celebrate, trips throughout Lahore will be free for the first weekend.
The first person to try uberGO in Lahore was actress and international model Mehreen Syed. Legendary cricketer Shoaib Akhtar also took a test ride around the city.
While responding to media queries regarding the security concerns, Amna explained that Uber drivers go through the following steps:
- People who want to be Uber drivers signup online
- Drivers are asked to submit there identification information, which is verified by Uber
- Once everything is checked out, potential drivers are asked to provide with a character certificate, signed by police station and other authorities
- Lastly, every driver goes through three different training programs — including sexual harassment seminar — to properly get to know about treating customers in a professional manner
Furthermore, Loic explained some of the interesting Uber features like ability to share your location with friends in real-time. He also mentioned Uber Pool service that allows 2 or more people to share a single ride and split the fare.
Starting tomorrow, 12PM, Uber is going to be available for customers in Lahore with following prices:
Standard Uber Pricing:
- Base Fare: 100
- Cancellation: 150
- Minimum Fare: 150
- Per KM: 13.7
- Per minute: 3.7 PKR
So if you are planning to go from location A to location B with a road distance of 10 kilometers, then here’s how you will be charged:
- Base Fare: Rs. 100
- Per KM charge: Rs. 13.7 x 10 = Rs. 137
- Per Minute Charge (supposing that ride took you 30 minutes): Rs. 3.7 x 30 = 111
- Total Estimated Charge: Rs. 100 + Rs. 137 + Rs. 111 = Rs. 348
Uber Car types:
Uber has started with 100 riders/cars on-board for services in Lahore. Number is obviously going to grow with time.
Uber is currently offering its UberGo vehicles in Pakistan, that include: Suzuki Swifts, Toyota Vitz, Toyota Corollas, Honda Civics or equivalent.
More luxurious cars with UberBlack and UberLUX will be offered later.
You can go to this link and download Uber app to start using the service: https://get.uber.com/