The Federal government is levying heavy taxes on all petroleum products. This was the major observation being made by a report that the Ministry of Petroleum submitted to the National Assembly recently.
As per the report, ex-refinery price of 92 RON petrol is Rs 50.27 whereas the government is charging Rs 84.51 for it from customers. Going by this, the government is pocketing Rs. 34.24 as surcharge on petrol products.
The same observation has been made in the prices of other fuel products, such as diesel. The government is pocketing Rs 40.47 as surcharge on it.
At the beginning of this year, the government raised the prices of petroleum products. The decision was met with much criticism by citizens, since it put a sizable dent in their travel costs.
The government hiked the price of various fuels.
- Petrol prices are up by Rs. 2.98
- High speed diesel (HSD) by Rs. 5.92
- Kerosene by Rs. 5.94
- Light diesel oil (LDO) by Rs. 5.93 per litre
Petrol, HSD, LDO and Kerosene Consumption in Pakistan:
Here is much petroleum is consumed every month:
- HSD consumption: Over 800,000 tons per month
- Petrol consumption: Over 700,000 tons per month
- LDO and Kerosene oil consumption: 10,000 tons per month