Known for its slightly more affordable range of smartphones, Huawei’s sub brand Honor has unveiled the new Honor 9.
The Huawei Honor 9 is a high end smartphone in a $400 package. It will be available in China from June 16th. There’s been no word on an international release yet but you can expect the phone to make it to Pakistan and other markets soon.
Design and Display
Design-wise, the Honor 9 comes with a metal and glass finish. It will be available in four colors: Gold, Grey, Black and Blue. It looks like Huawei P10’s cheaper sibling.
On the front of the phone is a 5.15-inch 1080p display, with support for DCI-P3 color space. DCI-P3 is used by iPhone 7 and Samsung Galaxy S8 as well so you can expect unmatched color accuracy.
Internals and Storage
Under the hood, you’ll find the high-end octa-core HiSilicon Kirin 960 SoC, Huawei’s home made CPU. Coupled with the Kirin 960 is a huge 6 GB RAM and 64 GB/128 GB of internal storage. It is expandable via a hybrid microSD or SIM-expansion slot. It is a dual SIM phone by default.
On the OS side of things you get the latest Android Nougat 7.0 with Huawei’s custom Emotion UI 5.1 skin on top.
Huawei’s going all in with the dual camera fad. For the primary cameras the Huawei Honor 9 comes with dual 12 MP and 20 MP sensors with phase detection autofocus and a dual LED flash. Like the iPhone 7 you get 2X optical zoom and a portrait mode for bokeh effects.
The front camera features an 8 MP sensor.
Pricing and Battery
The battery capacity of the phone is set to 3,200 mAh. Fast charging support wasn’t announced but it might be included in the release version.
The Honor 9 will be available for $400 for the 64 GB variant and $440 for the 128 GB version.
Huawei Honor 9 Specifications
- CPU: 4x 2.4 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4x 1.8 GHz Cortex-A53
- Chipset: HiSilicon Kirin 960
- GPU: Mali-G71 MP8
- OS: Android 7.0 with EMUI 5.1
- Supported Networks: 2G, 3G, 4G LTE; Dual SIM
- Fingerprint sensor
- Dual camera setup
- Dimensions: 147.3 x 70.9 x 7.5 mm
- Weight: 155 g
- 5.15” DCI-P3 panel with 1080p (1920 x 1280) resolution (~420 PPI)
- RAM: 6 GB
- Internal: 64/128 GB
- Card slot: yes, via hybrid slot
- Primary: Dual 20MP + 12 MP, f/2.2, phase detection autofocus, 2x optical zoom, dual-LED (dual tone) flash
- Secondary: 8 MP, f/2.0
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, WiFi Direct, hotspot, VoLTE, NFC, headphone jack, GPS, Bluetooth
- Colors: Amber Gold, Seagull Grey, Charm Sea Blue
- Battery: 3200 mAh
- Price: $400 (64 GB), $440 (128 GB)