Caterpillar, the maker of industrial goods, has made a new smartphone specifically targeting those with heavy-duty jobs (or a decidedly adventurous lifestyle). The new S41 comes with a design which may not be alluring, but it will still survive in more extreme conditions than perhaps any other smartphone.
Design and Display
The design language brings the trademark durability of Cat, and certainly feels like it could take a few knocks. Cat S41 has a rubber finish for added sturdiness and for shock absorption.
The display on the front is a 5-inch TFT panel with 1080p resolution, as well as Corning Gorilla Glass 5.
The phone is IP68-certified, which is about the same as a mainstream Samsung Galaxy S8. Additionally the phone has a military grade MIL-STD-810G certification, which means that it is salt, dust, humidity, rain, vibration, solar radiation, transport and thermal shock resistant.
You can also drop this phone on to concrete from up to 1.8 meters high without breaking it.
Internals and Storage
Under the hood, you get the mid-range MediaTek Helio P20 processor, with its eight cores clocked at 2.3 GHz. There’s 3 GB RAM, as well as 32 GB storage, expandable via an external SD card slot. The phone comes with two Nano-SIM slots, too.
The software running here is Android Nougat. For connections, you get a microUSB port, NFC, category.6 LTE, Wi-Fi and headphone jack. The slots are covered to ensure protection.
The cameras here include an 8 MP sensor on the front, as well as a 13 MP lens on the back with a LED flash. The cameras can also work underwater via physical keys.
Battery and Price
The battery capacity is set at 5000 mAh, which is impressive. It can also charge your other smartphones through a USB OTG cable. Cat S41 also supports Pump Express 2.0 fast charging.
The price of the phone is set at $449, which is not unexpected, given the ruggedness of the phone.
Cat S41 Specifications
- CPU: 2.3 GHz octa-core Cortex-A53
- GPU: Mali-T880 MP2
- Chipset: MediaTek Helio P20
- OS: Android 7.0 Nougat
- Networks: 2G, 3G, 4G LTE; Dual-SIM
- IP68 certified – dust/water proof over 2.0 meters and 60 minutes
- Drop-to-concrete resistance from up to 1.8 m
- MIL-STD-810G compliant – salt, dust, humidity, rain, vibration, solar radiation, transport and thermal shock resistant
- 5” TFT LCD with 1080p (1920 x 1080) resolution
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- RAM: 3 GB
- Internal: 32 GB
- Card slot: yes, via microSD
- Primary: 13 MP, PDAF, LED flash
- Secondary: 8 MP
- Connectivity: NFC, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Cat.6 LTE, GPS, microUSB
- Battery: 5000 mAh; USB OTG, Pump Express 2.0 fast charging
- Price: $449