Punjab government will be announcing the provincial budget for the 2018-19 fiscal year soon. Uber, along with other ride-hailing services, are expected to be taxed at 5% in a new tax called “Ride-hailing services tax”.
A number of other taxes are also going to be added, mostly on service-based businesses. Overall, the government representatives say that this budget will be exempted from any major taxes on the general public.
Punjab Budget 2018-19
Here are the taxes government will be bringing in the upcoming budget;
- Ride-hailing services tax,
- Rent-a-car services tax,
- Advertisement services tax,
- Broadcasting services. The ad and broadcasting services include ads in magazine, newspapers, and journals etc.
- Courier services,
- Insurance services provider,
- Proprietors of vehicles providing carriage services for rent collection, debt collection, and cash collection etc.
The government is also contemplating restoring the full tax on standalone marriage halls and caterers. The tax on these is currently being charged at 5% under a tax scheme.
Punjab government has announced that services provided by the following will not be brought into the tax net;
- Health experts in the non-public sector.
- Medical centres,
- Maternity homes
- Legal experts.
The budget was discussed in a resource mobilization committee and is expected to be announced on 2nd May.