The wait is finally over as Oppo takes the covers off its bigger and better R17 Pro. Think of it as a slightly more affordable version of the Find X (minus the sliding camera module).
Let’s take a look.
Design and Display
As leaked earlier, the design is largely similar to the Oppo R17 released earlier. It sports a 6.4″ AMOLED display with Full HD+ (1080 x 2340) resolution. The R17 Pro has an impressive 91.5% screen to body ratio with a similar tiny notch at the top, giving it a more seamless feel.
It has an under-display fingerprint sensor on-board as well, so you’re getting the whole flagship deal with this one, at least in terms of design. The unique looking color gradient at the back is also something that the Pro borrows from the regular R17.
Internals and Storage
Under the hood, you get the Snapdragon 710 chip with 8 GB RAM and 128 GB of internal storage, no microSD card support on this one.
Like the other Oppo phones, the R17 Pro comes with Android 8.1 Oreo with the company’s ColorOS 5.1 UI.
This is the second phone in the world to feature a triple camera setup, following the Huawei P20 Pro. The main sensor is a 12 MP variable f/1.5-f/2.4 aperture unit, which works just like the camera on the Note 9 and the S9 series.
The second camera is a 20 MP lens, Oppo didn’t specify what it specializes in, while the third is a 3D Time of Flight (TOF) sensor. It’s actually used for 3D face unlock on other phones but Oppo says it serves another purpose on the R17 Pro. It will be used for 3D photo capturing as well as connecting to a TV and turning the phone into a game console.
We’ll have to see how it actually works when we get a review unit.
Battery and Pricing
Last but not the least, the R17 Pro features a large 3,700 mAh battery, divided into two halves of 1,850 mAh. This enables Oppo’s signature 50W Super VOOC fast charging, letting you charge it up to 40% in just 10 minutes.
As for the pricing, it currently comes in at CNY 4,299 or around Rs. 76,700 in China.
Oppo R17 Pro Specifications
- CPU: 2x 2.2 GHz Kryo 360 Gold & 6x 1.7 GHz Kryo 360 Silver
- GPU: Adreno 616
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 710
- OS: Android Oreo 8.1 with Color OS 5.1 UI
- Supported Networks: 2G, 3G, 4G LTE; Dual SIM
- Display: 6.4-inch AMOLED, FHD+ (1080×2280), 91.5% screen to body ratio
- RAM: 8 GB
- Internal: 128 GB
- Card slot: No
- Primary: 12 MP (f/1.5-2.4) + 20 MP f/2.6 + TOF 3D camera, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS, TOF
- Secondary: 25 MP
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, GPS
- Under-display fingerprint scanner
- Battery: 3,700mAh, Super VOOC fast charging (40% in 10 minutes)
- Price: CNY 4,299 (~Rs. 76,700)