Quaid-e-Azam University has made it to the top 500 universities around the world in Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020.
QAU is the only Pakistani university included in the 2020 edition of the annual ranking placed at number 401–500.
The list ranked 1400 varsities from 92 countries across the world. Among them are 14 Pakistani universities listed below.
- Quaid-e-Azam University (401–500)
- COMSATS University Islamabad (601-800)
- The University of Agriculture, Faisalabad (801-1000)
- International Islamic University, Islamabad (801-1000)
- Lahore University of Management Sciences (801–1000)
- National University of Sciences and Technology (801–1000)
- University of Punjab (801–1000)
- Bahauddin Zakariya University (1001+)
- University of Engineering & Technology, Lahore (1001+)
- Government College University, Lahore (1001+)
- University of Peshawar (1001+)
- PMAS Arid Agriculture University Rawalpindi (1001+)
- University of Sargodha (1001+)
- The University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore (1001+)
Leading the ranking for the fourth consecutive year is the UK’s University of Oxford. The California Institute of Technology has improved its ranking to grab the second place. The University of Cambridge dropped to the third position while Stanford University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology stand on the fourth and fifth positions respectively.
Despite international sanctions, Iran showed significant improvement in the higher education sector as their universities left behind countries like Australia, France, Russia, and Taiwan with 40 universities in the rankings.