The federal government’s auditors have found the Pakistan Medical Commission (PMC) guilty of irregularities regarding the recognition and affiliation of medical and dental colleges, and the registration of faculty members and foreign graduates.
According to the federal Directorate-General (audit), the audit and inspection report for the financial years 2018-19 and 2019-20 had revealed that the regulator for medical education had recognized five medical educational institutions and five dental institutions during the time period without fulfilling the pre-requisites prescribed in the Medical and Dental Institutions Regulations 2018.
These institutions are:
- Abbottabad International Medical College, Abbottabad
- Fazaia Ruth Pfau Medical College, Karachi
- Swat Medical College, Swat
- Watim Medical College, Rawalpindi
- Khairpur Medical College, Khairpur Mirs
- Dow Dental College, Karachi
- Muhammad Dental College, Mirpurkhas
- Shifa College of Dentistry, Shifa Tameer-e-Millat, Islamabad
- Azra Naheed Dental College, Lahore
- The Dental Section of the Rawal Institute of Health Sciences, Islamabad
“The recognition of these medical and dental institutions [by the PMC] without fulfilling the required criteria was unauthorized,” it said.