PTA Announces Broadband QoS Survey Results 2011 -
Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) carried out the second nationwide Broadband QoS Survey of all wireless and wire-line service providers throughout the country during third and fourth quarter of 2011.
During the survey the already devised Quality of Service (QoS) Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in consultation with services providers were measured.
These are Network Availability, Service Availability, Download and Upload bandwidth Speed (i.e. how much data a subscriber can receive or send to the maximum), Round-Trip Time (i.e. the time taken for the data to reach a particular destination and return), Contention Ratio (i.e. the ratio of Total bandwidth/No. of subscribers or number of subscribers per unit of bandwidth) and Retain-ability (i.e. for how much time a connection remained connected during the period of 60 minutes), etc.
It is worthwhile to note that higher the bandwidth of download/upload speed and retain-ability and lower the round trip time and contention ratio, higher is the service quality is considered superior.
PTA grades aforesaid parameters into categories like A, B, C etc., based on the percentage of score obtained during the measurement.
For 1Mbps broadband package of wireless broadband service providers rating remained as:
- Wateen Telecom has been placed in Category-A at Lahore and Rawalpindi and Category-B at Karachi, Quetta and Peshawar.
- Qubee and WorldCall are also in Category-A at Lahore and Category-B at Karachi
- Wi-Tribe is in Category-B at Rawalpindi.
- PTCL has been placed in Category-A at Lahore, Rawalpindi, Peshawar and Quetta and in Category-B at Karachi.
We are awaiting complete details from PTA on the survey. We will update this post with complete details when and if they are made available by PTA.
It may be mentioned here that, Broadband is a significant economic stimulus for any country as changing dynamics of the world economy rely heavily on well connected economic resources of a country. Advanced content, high quality mediums, reliable infrastructure and well linked information repositories determine the future of country’s economy by providing right information delivered through reliable and secure communication links at the right time.
- Broadband QoS Survey 2011 Results Unveiled
- PTA Likely to Look into Broadband Speeds of ISPs
- Wateen Tops Broadband QoS Survey by PTA
- PTA Concludes QoS Survey for Dial-up ISPs
- State of Broadband Internet in Pakistan : Overview
- Update: Broadband Subscribers in Pakistan – Nov 2009
- Broadband Subscribers in Pakistan Cross 1 Million Mark