Samsung has finally revealed its flagship android device for the year, the Samsung Galaxy S III – billed as official smartphone for Olympics 2012 – a sequel of Galaxy line of smartphones.
First thing you will notice about Samsung Galaxy S III is its gigantic 4.8 inch Super AMOLED HD screen (1280 x 720) on a minimal design – which by the way isn’t liked by many due to its huge size and Samsung’s conventional plastic pack.
On hardware front, Galaxy S III comes with 1.4GHz Samsung Exynos 4 Quad processor, which is said to offer twice the processing capability of the older Exynos 4 Dual used in previous Galaxy phones, while it consumes 20% lesser power.
Samsung said that it has optimized the power usage for processor by enabling each core to use exactly the amount of power it requires for processing.
Yes, Galaxy S3 will run on Android 4.0.4 or Ice Cream Sandwich.
Then there comes a 8-megapixel rear-facing and 1.9 megapixel forward-facing camera. Camera has zero shutter lag so you can capture photos instantly. The camera is also capable of taking 20 photos at once in burst mode, and a feature called “Best Photo” will pick the best shot out of a group of eight.
“With the GALAXY S III, Samsung has maximized the consumer benefits by integrating superior hardware with enhanced smartphone usability,” said JK Shin, President and Head of IT & Mobile Communications Division at Samsung.
Here is a run down of complete specifications for Galaxy S3:
- 2.5G (GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE): 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz
- 3G (HSPA＋ 21Mbps): 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz
- 4G (Dependent on market)
- Display: 4.8 inch HD Super AMOLED (1280×720) display
- OS: Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Main(Rear): 8 Mega pixel Auto Focus camera with Flash & Zero Shutter Lag
- Sub (Front): 1.9 Mega pixel camera, HD recording @30fps with Zero Shutter Lag
- Recording & Playback: Full HD (1080p)
- WiFi a/b/g/n, WiFi HT40
- Bluetooth® 4.0(LE)
- Sensor: Accelerometer, RGB light, Digital compass, Proximity, Gyro, Barometer
- Memory: 16/ 32GB User memory (64GB available soon) ＋ microSD slot (up to 64GB)
- Dimension: 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm, 133g
- Battery: 2,100 mAh
Samsung has introduced a plethora of software enhancements for Samsung Galaxy S3, including a Siri challenger: S Voice.
Here are few of features Samsung Galaxy S3 will offer:
- Smart Stay: Samsung Galaxy S3 will dim its brightness when you’re asleep. So long as you are awake and will look at the phone, it will maintain a bright display.
- Direct Call: Samsung claims that Galaxy S3 knows when you want to talk. If you’re messaging and want to call instead, simply lift your phone to your ear and it will dial your friend automatically.
- Smart Alert: It knows when you’ve been away from your phone – vibrating nudge lets you know missed calls or messages.
- Social Tag: It keeps track of your loved ones: a glance at your friends’ photos will show you their current SNS status.
- S Voice: Samsung Galaxy S3 responds to your words: you can tell it to wake up, answer, even take a photo.
- S Beam: Place two GALAXY S IIIs back-to-back and you can transfer pictures, music, videos, and more.
- All Share Cast: Stream your photos, videos – even the game you’re playing – onto big screen, with your phone doubling as a controller.
- Buddy Photo Share: It shares with everyone instantly: as the phone recognizes your friends faces, it can share photos with them instantly.
- All Share Play: Galaxy S3 lets you share with everyone: access to documents and
multimedia files when you work somewhere else.
In addition Samsung Galaxy S3 will allow you to watch HD videos while you text, or while you are writing a long email. A distraction some may call it – fun for others.
Samsung also partnered with Dropbox to offer 50GB of cloud space for Samsung Galaxy S3 owners.
Samsung said that one should expect world over launch of Samsung Galaxy S3 in June this year. That’s the time when we are likely to see this smartphone surfacing in Pakistan too. No words on pricing yet, but it is anticipated it would land around Rs. 55,000 to Rs. 60,000.
If you still not convinced, see below the comparison of Galaxy S3 with rival flagship devices.
And now some images and videos of Galaxy S3; here you go: