Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) in line with the Telecom Policy 2015 is developing C-EIR system in consultation with all stakeholders to strengthen and ensure transparency in the process of Type Approval.
Replying to queries submitted to PTA, the Authority maintained that it envisions to eventually moving towards a completely online based system and is actively working towards development of such process.
However, in order to facilitate all applicants who wish to apply, application form is available online and an applicant can submit all documentation electronically or in form of a CD. Payment can also be done in the PTA account listed on its website and a scanned receipt from the bank can be submitted. All these steps are put in place to facilitate and optimize the process for all applicants who may apply remotely.
The Authority further maintained that PTA has developed its type approval process in line with best international practices and as per International Telecommunication Union (ITU) recommendations.
Applicant has to provide test reports from world renowned labs for type approval. The Authority also performs OS Testing at its end for the mobile devices and only devices that successfully pass all these test are processed for type approval.
All applicants who wish to obtain such certificate for a model must provide documentation that includes
- Authorization Letter from the manufacturer
- Test Reports i.e. RF, Safety, EMC/EMI from reputed labs available worldwide and listed on PTA website
- TAC Allocation letter from GSMA who are the global body for issuance of TAC
On successful evaluation of the mandatory required documentation a Type Approval certificate is processed by the directorate through an online portal system and a final approval given by the DG Services. The applicable fee’s for processing of case and issuance of certificate are verified and a certificate is issued with an embossed stamp to the successful applicant.
The following checks are in place to ensure transparency of process:
- Entire processing of case is done through an online portal which is visible to all relevant officers, concerned DG and Chairman. Entire progress at each step is visible and can be accessed at a click of a button to review historical data and status.
- Issued Type Approval certificate has an embossed stamp to reflect more authenticity and mitigate the risk of forgery
- Type Approval certificates have a GSMA TAC code printed on it which can be verified at any given time from the PTA for authenticity.
- A unique document certificate number is printed on the back of each certificate which is a number issued by the PTA type approval directorate that can be used to trace out any issued certificate along with entire historical record.
- All approved Type Approved Certificate holder details along with Model, make etc details are published on PTA Website as well.
PTA in line with the best international practices allows only those devices into the country which have a genuine IMEI issued by the GSMA. All cases for type approvals and NOC for mobile devices, the device having IMEI number are duly verified through the GSMA database and only authenticated IMEI are allowed.
All issued Type Approval certificate and NOC copies are also sent to relevant custom office where the consignment is withheld. This approach allows for a close coordination with the custom authority and release of equipment is only done after both Applicant issued copy tallies with the custom issued copy containing embossed stamps from PTA has been matched.