The Punjab government has earmarked Rs 13.95 billion in budget 2016-17 for Governance & IT sector with increase of 63 percent against Rs 8.54 billion for the outgoing financial year.
The amount has been earmarked for Governance & IT Sector in 2016-17 for implementation of projects sponsored by Punjab Information Technology Board and other government departments
As per budget document, targets and major initiatives fixed for fiscal year 2016-17 are:
- the flagship project of the police department/Safe City Authority namely Punjab Police Integrated Command, Control and Communication Centre in six mega cities in order to ensure foolproof security, improve the law and order situation and make marked improvements in the traffic management system of mega cities in the province;
- the Automation of Case and Courts Management System at LHC & District Courts Lahore to help improve service delivery of justice to general public;
- The Local Government Automated Financial Management and Monitoring System in order to increase transparency and visibility of the financial accounts of the Punjab Government;
- The GIS Integrated Computerization of Urban Immovable Property Tax (UIPT) and the Ease for Tax Payers Programme’ to enhance government revenue and tax payer facilitation
During FY 2015-16, an amount of Rs 8.54 billion was allocated to the Governance and IT Sector. Major milestones achieved during FY2015-16 are:
- Completion of Land Records Management and Information Systems Project (Phase-I) that would eliminate Patwar Culture as promised by CM Shahbaz Sharif.
- The completion of Technology Incubator Plan9 and PlanX at Arfa Software Technology Park Programme which made history in the field of entrepreneurship in Pakistan.
- Completion of Driving License Management Information System has made the process more transparent and easier.
- Computerized FIR System will end the decades old Thana Culture from Punjab.
- Completion of Computerisation of Transport Department (TDAS) Phase II.
Chairman Punjab Information Technology Board (PITB) Dr Umar Saif said Punjab government has shown good governance as one of its top priorities by increasing its budget up to 63 percent as compared to last year.
Commenting on the new Punjab budget for the next financial year, he said an amount of Rs 13.95 billion had been earmarked for Governance & IT Sector sponsored by PITB and other Government Departments against last year’s Rs 8.54 billion.
Dr Saif said Government of the Punjab aims at leveraging upon the revolution in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) to modernize governance and keep Punjab abreast with global proficiency in service delivery.