If you are applying for an admission at a public sector college in Punjab, you may want to check out the new guidelines issued by the Punjab Higher Education Department (HED).
The guidelines are part of the Admission Policy 2016 and their main feature is that colleges have been directed to offer admissions online via a system developed by the Punjab Information Technology Board (PITB) in collaboration with HED.
Features of the Online College Admission System
Some 700+ public sector colleges can use the Online College Admission System (OCAS) developed by PITB to submit and process applications for FA, FSc and ICS programs.
Here are some of the main features of the OCAS system:
- Only 25Rs are charged per application.
- Students can apply to more than one college.
- Student’s name will appear in merit list of college.
- 3-step system for applying to colleges.
- 700+ public sector colleges are part of the program.
The colleges have been instructed to display the merit list on their campuses as well.
Admission Criteria Laid Down
Additionally, the policy document also gives the outline for admissions criteria. It states that:
- Admissions on sports basis will be applicable only for the humanities group.
- Certificates of distinctions should also be attached with the relevant sports.
- Students with 75 percent attendance in college lectures will be eligible for BISE exams
- O-Level students need to attach equivalence certificates given by Punjab Board Committee of Chairmen
- Identity cards of students are a must when they are at the colleges.
Measures such as these are much needed in order to ease the admissions process and the burden that it brings for parents, students and the educational institutions. With less hassles involved, educational institutions can take care of the admissions at a faster pace than before. Parents and students will no longer have to brave the scorching heat in the admission season.