A Pakistani team of six people is all set to showcase art masterpiece at the first London Design Biennale.
Salman Jawed, curator and co-founder of the Coalesce Design Studio, as well as five other team-mates were selected from over 30 countries to represent Pakistan at the inaugural session of the London Design Bienale.
The Karachi based team are part of Coalesce Design Studio which is showcasing a unique installation named ‘Daalaan’ at the event.
The installation makes the visitors visit their childhood in a very unique manner. It comprises of various illustrations hanging from the ceiling which represent the traditional games and ‘lattoo stools’.
The idea behind this unusual yet intriguing setup is to help the visitors rediscover the inner child in them, as they would spin on the stools while gazing at the illustrations which is bound to free them of adult anxieties.
“The sheesham wood objects, spinning tops, hand-drawn art and illustrations make for a playground where imagination has no bounds.” – Coalesce Design Studio
The efforts of the Pakistani team has been recognized by leading architecture and design magazine Icon. Out of the possible 37 entries, ‘Daalaan’ became one of the six to be accepted for display alongside entries from countries Belgium, France, Indonesia, Mexico and Russia.
About Coalesce Design Studio and Their Team
The design which won accolades for Pakistan was done by a team of six extraordinary people.
- Curator Salman Jawed: He is the co-founder of the Coalesce Design Studio and managing partner/principal architect. He started the studio after he graduated from Indus Valley School of Art and Architecture (IVSAA) back in 2008.
- Ali S. Hussain: He’s a Karachi-based architect with over 12 years of experience in designing and printing.
- Faiza Adamjee: She has eight years of agency experience and she works as a graphic designer for the team.
- Hina Fancy: She is also a IVSAA graduate. She resides in Islamabad and works as an independent designer who has specialized in printing.
- Zaid Hameed: He’s a Textile designer with keen interest in indigenous crafts of Pakistan like Hala pottery.
- Mustafa Mehdi: He is the third IVSAA graduate in the team and works as a principal architect at the studio.
About the London Design Biennale
Nations from six continents, over 30 countries and territories, are attending the London Design Biennale which is being held at Somerset House from 7th to 27th September.
Representative from the very best centres of design, which include the Moscow Design Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum are attending for the presentation of newly commissioned works that explore the theme of the Biennale – ‘Utopia by Design.’
The purpose of this innovative and interactive event is to promote big ideas about sustainability and from migration cities to social equality.
You can see Coalesce Design Studio’s works on their website here.