Wiki Loves Earth is back with another photography contest. Pakistan has been a part of Wiki Loves Earth since 2015 and managed to bag the first prize in the same year as well.
Here’s the winning entry from Pakistan (2015):
Last year, 10 entries were shortlisted by the judges in Pakistan. Unfortunately, none of them won the competition or placed in the top 10 winning photographs.
Wiki Loves Earth is held for the purpose of promoting national heritage and scenic beauty across the world. Everyone is encouraged to participate.
According to Wikipedia:
The purpose behind the competition is to gather photographs released under a free licence that enables their free use worldwide. The goal of Wikipedia is to make knowledge available to the world for free, and since natural heritage is part of knowledge, Wikipedia want to gather and release to the world free, usable photographs of natural heritage.
How to Participate
The competition will run from May 1st to May 31st, 2017. To participate you will need to register an account on Wikipedia and upload photos using the “upload now” button or by clicking here.
Make sure to follow these regulations before entering the competition:
- You will have to provide your e-mail address when creating the account so Wiki can contact you if your photograph wins.
- All entries must be original photographs taken by you. Please make sure that you are not uploading someone else’s photos. Contestants as well entries that constitute copyright infringement and fraud will be disqualified.
- Images with watermarks, copyright symbol, and timestamp are not allowed and could disqualify a potential winning entry.
Evaluation Criteria and Prize
The Pakistani panel of judges will evaluate and shortlist up to 10 photos for the international competition, which will have its own jury. Another panel of judges will then choose the final 10 winning entries according to the following criteria:
- Technical quality of the photograph;
- Originality and creativity;
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image to Wikipedia
The winner will receive a travel scholarship (max value $3,000) to attend a Wikipedia conference in Cape Town, South Africa in 2018.