Islamabad and Rawalpindi have been witnessing huge traffic jams for the past several days. The government was forced to close several roads after a sit-in staged by a religious group, Tehreek-i-Labaik Ya Rasool Allah.
Since last Wednesday, Islamabad Highway, Murree Road, Agha Shahi Avenue (Stadium Road to Zero Point), and Lehtrar Road confronted huge traffic jams, which resulted in chaos and uncertainty among commuters. Numerous roads and intersections are still blocked in Islamabad and Rawalpindi today.
For people’s ease Islamabad Traffic Police has sugested alternative traffic routes* for Islamabad and Rawalpindi. However, do keep not that traffic situation is not expected to be any better at peak times.
Islamabad-Rawalpindi Alternative Traffic Routes
Faizabad Intersection will remain blocked for the traffic if the protesting rally remains camped at Faizabad. Islamabad Traffic Police (ITP) has devised following traffic plan for the commuters of Rawalpindi and Islamabad:
- Traffic operations from Rawal Dam Chowk towards Faizabad Chowk will remain suspended on both sides.
Alternative: Use Rawal Dam Chowk, Park Road, Taramri Chowk, Lehtrar Road, Khanna Bridge and Express Highway instead.
- Roads will remain ceased from Zero Point towards Faizabad Chowk.
Alternative: Use Kashmir Highway, 9th Avenue, and IJP Road instead.
- Commuters coming from Kural can not use Islamabad Highway Road towards Faizabad Chowk.
Alternative: Use route Khanna Bridge, Lehtrar Road, Taramri Chowk, Park Road, and Rawal Dam Chowk instead.
- Roads will remain blocked from 9th Avenue and IJP road towards Faizabad Chowk on both sides.
Alternative: Use IJP Road, Gohar Shaheed Chowk (Gandam-Godam Chowk), Faqeer Aipee Road, and Kashmir Highway instead.
- Traffic from Kalsoom Hospital Jinnah Avenue towards Express Chowk will remain suspended.
Alternative: Use Nazim-ud-Din Road and Margalla Road instead.
- Roads from Geo Chowk towards Poly Clinic Fazl-e-Haq Road are ceased on both sides.
Alternative: Use Luqman Hakeem Road instead.
- Traffic operations from Dhokri Suhrawardy (Serena Chowk) towards France Turn are suspended on both sides.
Alternative: Use Embassy Road Nadir Chowk, Radio Pakistan Chowk or Margalla Road to commute towards Red Zone, Secretariat, and Diplomatic Enclave.
- Moreover, use Stadium Road to go to 9th Avenue or Khanna Road, Khanna Bridge, Lehtrar Road, Taramri, Park Road, and Rawal Dam Chowk, if you’re coming from Rawalpindi through Murree Road.
- (051) 92 63 182
*The routes are being updated periodically; confirmation of the route prior to any trip is advised.