The much awaited Player’s Draft for the third edition of Pakistan Super League (PSL) was held this weekend where all six franchises completed their squad of 20. Lahore were the only exception as they managed to pick 19 players as they exhausted the limit pay-scale.
More than 500 players were up for grabs and 308 of them were foreign cricketers which included some prominent names.
Each team joined the event with 9 retained players and selected 7 more players; one from each category of Platinum, Diamond, Gold and two players each from Silver and Emerging.
The event not only focused on PSL but also celebrated the revival of cricket in Pakistan. Former and current players talked about significance of PSL and how it is playing a massive role in changing the opinion regarding Pakistan at the international stage.
Quotes From Event:
Wasim Akram — Multan Sultans Director Cricket:
Multan Sultans will merge as one of the top teams. We have full faith in Shoaib Malik’s (captain of Multan Sultans) abilities.
Ali Naqvi — Islamabad United’s Owner:
As many as 60 percent of the international players are willing to come to Pakistan to play. That is great success for us.”
Salman Iqbal — Karachi Kings Owner:
Many people ask us why we couldn’t bring AB de Villers on board. It’s tough to sign those who are not in the draft pool. We can only pick what’s available.
Rana Fawad — Lahore Qalandars Owner:
Return of cricket to Pakistan is great. I’m always very happy at the time of drafts. We’re going to put all our efforts this time and won’t disappoint. Even if I have to bat and Aqib has to bowl to ensure success…we will do that.
Aqib Javed — Lahore Qalandars’s Director Cricket Operations and Bowling Consultant:
We want to make such a team that makes Fawad bhai happy not just in draft but also on the day of the final. There were many injuries. It depends on a lot of factors not just big name players.
Moin Khan — Quetta Gladiators’ Head Coach:
We will try our best, but competition will be tough even more so because there is a new team. Pitches here and in UAE are almost same so there shouldn’t be many problems.
Nadeem Umar — Quetta Gladiator’s Owner:
I want to congratulate to PCB and all franchises for taking this brand so far. I want to specially mention Sir Viv. We want to give chance to new players but unfortunately we can’t always do that.
Zaheer Abbas — Peshawar Zalmi’s President:
We are trying to make a team of youngsters.
Complete Squads After Players’ Draft:
Here are the key picks and the complete information regarding the squads for each franchise participating in PSL’s third edition.
- Platinum Category — Chris Lynn (Australia)
- Diamond Category — Mustafizur Rehman (Bangladesh)
- Gold Category — Bilal Asif (Pakistan)
- Silver Category — Raza Hassan And Sohail Akhtar (Pakistan)
- Emerging Players Category — Ghulam Mudassir and Shaheen Afridi (Pakistan)
- Supplementary category — Angelo Mathews, Mitchell McClenaghan and Gulraiz Sadaf.
- Platinum Category — Dwayne Bravo (West Indies)
- Diamond Category — Tamim iqbal (Bangladesh)
- Gold Category — Hammad Azam (Pakistan)
- Silver Category — Saad Nasim and Taimur Sultan (Pakistan)
- Emerging Players Category — Sameen Gul and Ibtisam Sheikh (Pakistan)
- Supplementary Category — Andre Fletcher, Evin Lewis, Khalid Usman and Muhammad Arif
- Platinum Category — Colin Ingram (south Africa)
- Diamond Category — Mitchell Johnson ( Australia)
- Gold Category — Luke Wright (England)
- Silver Category — David Wiese (South Africa) and Tabish Khan (Pakistan)
- Emerging Players Category —Mohammad Irfan Jr and Hassan Mohsin
- Supplementary Category — Colin Munro, Eoin Morgan and Saifullah Bangash
- Platinum Category — Imran Tahir (South Africa)
- Diamond Category — Darren Bravo (West Indies)
- Gold Category — Ahmed Shehzad (Pakistan)
- Silver Category — Muhammad Abbas (Pakistan) and Nicholas Pooran
- Emerging Players Category — Abdullah Shafiq and Saif Badar
- Supplementary Category — Hardus Viljoen, Umar Gul, Umar Sadique and Ross Whiteley
- Platinum Category — Shane Watson (Australia)
- Diamond Category — Carlos Brathwaite ( West Indies)
- Gold Category — Rahat Ali (Pakistan)
- Silver category — Rameez Raja Jr and Saad Ali (Pakistan).
- Emerging Players Category — Saud Shakeel and Hasan Khan (Pakistan)
- Supplementary Category — Jason Roy, Rashid Khan, Azam Khan and Faraz Ahmed Khan.
- Platinum Category — JP Duminy (Sourh Africa)
- Diamond Category — Luke Ronchi (New zealand)
- Gold Category – Faheem Ashraf (Pakistan)
- Silver Category — Sam Billings and batsman Zafar Gohar
- Emerging Players Category — Sahibzada Farhan and Hussain Talat
- Supplementary Category – Alex Hales, David Willey, Muhammad Hasan and Muhammad Hasnain.
To watch the complete event, check out PSL’s official YouTube stream: