University of Karachi has issued its annual code of conduct which states that they would keep a close eye on the student’s social media accounts so it is advised to use it responsibly and avoid from posting anything controversial among other directives.
The notification issued by the KU Student Adviser Dr Syed Asim Ali mentions the following:
- Any student-organized activities that are against the ideology of Islam, Pakistan, national security and integrity are banned.
- In order to organize an event on campus, students are to take permission by submitting an application to the relevant chairperson and department 5 days prior to the event whereas all the co-curricular activities would take place with the guidance of the departmental student advisers.
- The social media activities of the students would be monitored and the students must make sure that all the social media activities should be in accordance with the ethical norms that do not provoke regional and sectarian divides. The use of abusive language is also prohibited.
- Students are directed not to enter the residential area of the campus as they have no right to intervene in the varsity’s administrative activities.
- The sale of pan, ghutka and beetle nuts are prohibited within the premises of the campus and anyone caught red-handed would be dealt as per the law.
- No unauthorized use of the varsity’s property allowed, including transport.
- Students are bound to respect all the teaching and non-teaching staff and are entitled to cooperate with the security officials to ensure discipline.
- Anti-social activities in the varsity and use of threats and violence are highly prohibited. Students are also advised to keep a strict check on the external individuals entering the university and getting involved in non-academic activities.
- Graffiti and posters are also banned.
- Carrying of weapons, ammunition or explosive material on campus is strictly prohibited.
- At least an attendance of 75% should be maintained in classes.
- Students should abide by the rules and regulations of the varsity or else would be dealt strictly as per the laws.
While being interviewed by the local media, Dr. Syed said that every year the code of conduct is renewed and issue, this year it was decided to make strict rules to keep the students in check.
Some recently-published news reports regarding posts on the social media accounts of KU students have highlighted a worrisome situation. Therefore, we have issued a notification to students to not misuse social media and we will be taking the Federal Investigation Agency’s help in this regard to monitoring social media posts as well.