Margalla Hills, famous for their tranquil environment and lush-green natural splendor, are a particular source of pride for Islamabadis, many of whom make it a weekly ritual to scale the various trails to Daman-e-Koh and Pir Sohawa.
Are you thinking of visiting the exquisite Margalla Hills? We give you 20 reasons why it absolutely needs to be in your plans this year:
- One often gets to see fitness aficionados (even celebrities) at the Trail 2 cycling track of the Margalla hills. You might need to bring your mountain bike for this one.
2. The Margalla Hills are home to beautiful water streams, especially in the monsoon months.
3. Don’t worry if you come across a congress of local monkeys on your way to the top. They are quite friendly and don’t normally show up on busy days.
4. The flora and fauna of the Margalla region are unique and one often gets to see beautiful chirping birds on the different trails.
Picture Credits – Danish Mumtaz
5. If you haven’t been to these hills before, this is how the tracks normally look like:
6. Just after a 10 minutes hike from the parking spot of Trail 3, you’ll come across this steep-looking ‘Fire Lane’ track.
You can have a clear view of the city at intervals while you hike through this track.
Picture Credits – Qadeer Ahmad Janjua
7. How can you not end up falling in love with these green tunnels during your hike through the trees of Margalla?
8. Once you hike up to the top, a mesmerizing view of the city lights is waiting for you. What better time than the sunset hours to be here?
9. Even if you take the Pir Sohawa road to the top, you’ll still have plenty of places to stop and click some amazing photos.
10. Who knows if you bump into Lala during your routine Sunday hike?
11. You’ll get to know how lucky you are to be here. This view basically sums it up.
12. If you lose your motivation on your hike to the top, remember this view in your mind.
13. CDA has installed milestones and direction guiding boards on regular intervals throughout the tracks, ensuring that you don’t miss out on the best spots:
14. This seems like a nice touch.
15. You can also take care of your food cravings at the famous Monal Restaurant once you are at the top of the Margalla Hills.
16. Yes, the Margalla Hills can also be your perfect weekend picnic spot. Great for those BBQs!
17. Margalla isn’t all about the Pir Sohawa track. Do visit Shah Allah Ditta caves in the D-12 Sector this time for a change.
18. Some spooky-looking caves are waiting for you, situated in the D-12 sector of the federal capital. Some say these caves are 700 years old!
19. Whichever track you choose, these lush green vegetations will follow you!
20. You can even do your bit for the environment. Take a team of volunteers with you for a short cleanup campaign.
For this summer, why not go on a hiking trip on the Margalla Hills? Just remember to keep yourself hydrated if you are going to the top and avoid going on extremely hot summer days. And enjoy!