The Punjab Food Authority (PFA) has arrested the owner of a slaughterhouse for selling unhygienic meat in Lahore. The Authority seized 3,600 kilograms of meat from the same slaughterhouse which was situated in the Bakar Mandi area.
PFA conducted the raid after receiving a tip-off from their meat safety team. The team seized the meat and burnt it at the Punjab Agriculture and Meat Company’s furnace.
All suspects were arrested and an FIR was registered against them as well.
The food quality watchdog conducted multiple raids in other cities of the province as well. In different operations, the authority sealed 11 food points and imposed a total fine of Rs 415,000 on 39 Food Business Operators (FBOs).
The PFA got rid of a huge quantity of substandard products in several cities as well, which includes:
- 20 liters of adulterated milk.
- 30 liters of beverages.
- 1,600 kilograms of Gutka.
- 10 kilograms of chemicals.
- 400 kilograms of mango base.
- 700 ice cream packets.
- 100 kilograms of adulterated turmeric.
- 10 kilograms of colored Slanty,
- 400 kilograms of red pepper,
- 350 kilograms of pepper powder.
The authority fined several eateries and their owners over providing substandard products and food as well:
- Rs 155,000 fine on 15 food places in DG Khan.
- Rs 143,000 fine on 14 FBOs in Gujranwala.
- Rs 72,500 fine on six eateries in Multan.
- Rs 45,000 fine on four shopkeepers in Sargodha.
Punjab Food Authority also sealed the following places spread across several cities in Punjab:
- An ice factory, sweet unit, and one other food place were sealed in Sargodha for working under unhygienic conditions and improper labeling.
- Five food points were sealed in Gujranwala. The list includes a grinding shop, BBQ point, frozen food, and a milk shop.
- A soda factory was sealed in Multan for using banned chemicals.
- An ice factory and a salt processing unit were sealed in Dera Ghazi Khan.
The Dera Ghazi Khan factories were sealed after they failed to meet the food standards and provide the medical certificates of their workers. Several animals were found in the processing area as well.