The federal government has approved the extension in the launch of Devices Identification, Registration and Blocking System (DIRBS) with effect from 15th January, 2019.
The Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) has issued a detailed procedure on Tuesday by issuing a customs general order (CGO) number 1 of 2019.
In order to facilitate the international passengers, Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) and Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA), in coordination with the Cellular Mobile Operators, have devised a web-based user interface application in DIRBS for swift registration and prompt payment of leviable duty/taxes for mobile devices brought in accompanied baggage, FBR said.
International Travelers & Phones in Luggage
The following procedures shall be followed for the registration of the mobile devices brought in by international travelers in their accompanied baggage or mobile devices available with an individual who is not a traveler or such devices imported by an individual through courier service and registration of these devices by local traders:
- The PTA shall provide online application service which can be accessed by international travelers for hassle-free registration and payment of duty/taxes against mobile devices imported in accompanied baggage. This utility may also be accessed through the franchises of the Cellular Mobile Operators.
- The aforesaid utility will guide the applicant about the information required to be submitted for online registration of mobile devices. The system, in particular, will require the applicant/traveler to submit the details of passport number, computerized National Identity Card (CNIC) number, International Motile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number etc.
- As per FBR’s CGO, the mentioned information submitted by the applicant will be auto-processed/validated through WeBOC. The mobile devices will accordingly be cleared by the system in accordance with admissible allowances under the Baggage Rules, whereby the first mobile phone in a year will be allowed in DIRBS free of any duty or taxes.
- In the case of second or more mobile devices, the system shall electronically generate Payment Slip ID (PSID) for payment of duty/taxes. The applicant will then have options to pay the leviable duty/taxes through online banking, ATM, mobile banking and bank branches of all leading banks. Once the system confirms the payment of duty/taxes, the mobile device will be white-listed in DIRBS;
The travelers can register the mobile devices brought-in accompanied baggage following the said procedure within 60 days of their arrival in Pakistan, FBR said.
After the expiry of the aforesaid time-limit, such mobile devices shall be registered on payment of leviable duty/taxes along with the prescribed fine notified for the purpose. In these cases, baggage free allowance will also be unavailable.
For the registration of mobile devices by a local applicant, the FBR said that the local resident may also register the mobile device using the above mentioned web-based utility. The applicant will be guided by the system to provide the details of CNIC number, IMEI number of the mobile device in DIRBS.
On submission of the aforesaid information, the system shall electronically generate PSID for payment of duty/taxes and prescribed fine. The applicant will have options to pay the leviable duty/taxes and fine through online banking, ATM, mobile banking and bank branches of all leading banks.
Once the system confirms the payment of duty/taxes along with the fine amount, the mobile device will be white-listed in DIRBS, FBR said.
Imports & International Shipments
For registration of mobile devices imported by individuals through postal service or courier, the FBR said that all mobile devices imported by the Individuals through Postal Service or courier shall be released on production of Certificate of Compliance (CoC) issued by PTA.
For the convenience of the importer, the applicant or his authorized agent can apply for CoC to the customs authorities as per format given in Annex-A.
On receipt of the declaration, the Customs authorities shall verify the particulars and process the declaration under PTA module for the issuance of online Coe. A system generated CoC shall accordingly be issued by the PTA through the aforesaid module;
- Upon issuance of CoC, the applicant shall deposit the Custom’s assessed leviable duty/ taxes and the detained device will accordingly be released.
- In case of non-issuance of CoC, the Customs authorities will take further action in accordance with the law in respect of the detained device.
For registration of mobile devices imported illegally through informal channels by local traders, FBR’s new procedure said that the holder/proprietor of un-registered mobile devices shall voluntarily approach the nearest Collectorate of Customs and file declaration as provided at Annex-B along with a soft copy of IMEI details of such devices in excel format. On receipt of the declaration, the designated Customs official shall verify the particulars and endorse the stamp on the declaration form and detain the mobile device.
Thereafter, the holder shall file an application supported with duly stamped declaration form before PTA for the issuance of a CoC along with soft form excel sheet containing IMEI of the device(s). The PTA shall process the application in accordance with their SoP and accordingly issue CoC;
Upon issuance of CoC, the applicant shall approach the Customs authorities for the release of the mobile device. The Customs authorities shall assess the leviable duty / taxes and fine after adjudication proceedings. The holder afterwards shall deposit the duty/taxes alongwith adjudged fine in the designated branch of National Bank of Pakistan. The mobile devices will be released to the holder accordingly.
In the case of non-issuance of CoC, the Customs authorities will take further action in accordance with the law in respect of the detained device, FBR maintained.
All the Collectorates are requested to furnish the information regarding regularization of mobile devices brought by local traders in the format detailed hereunder by the 5th of every month, FBR said.
The above mentioned procedure shall be applicable in supersession of the earlier procedure notified vide CGO 06 of 2018 dated 29.11.2018, FBR added.