The government has released Rs 1.214 billion for Information Technology and Telecom Division out of its allocated amount of Rs. 1.45 billion under the Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP) for the current fiscal year 2018-19.
The government has released Rs 1.214 billion, including Rs 344.505 million of foreign aid and Rs. 870.451 million local components, for Information Technology and Telecom Division, revealed the official documents.
Some of these projects and released amounts include:
- Rs 52.79 million for the Construction of Cross-Border Optical Fiber Cable (OFC) System between China and Pakistan for International Connectivity of voice/data traffic,
- Rs. 40 million for Enhancing IT Exports through Industry Support programs,
- Rs. 50 million for the establishment of SCO Technical Training Institute (STTI) in Gilgit Baltistan,
- Rs. 200 million for the Expansion and Upgradation of NGMS (3G/4G) Services and Seamless Coverage along KKH (in Support of CPEC) in Gilgit Baltistan,
- Rs. 440.657 million for the replacement of GSM Network in AJ&K,
- Rs. 6.44 million for site development and construction of boundary wall at PSEB’s site for the establishment of IT Park at Chak Shahzad, Islamabad,
- Rs. 40 million for Technology Park Development Project (TDP) at Islamabad (Phase-I).
- Another Rs. 40.564 million were released for the Replication of E-Office (Basic Common Applications) at 45 Divisions of the Federal Government. The foreign component released is around Rs. 344.505 million.
The Ministry of Information Technology and Telecommunication had proposed an amount of Rs. 9.787 billion for 15 development projects for the financial year 2018-19 including 6 ongoing projects and 9 new projects.
The Senate Standing committee had approved Rs 9.787 billion budgetary proposals under the PSDP for the fiscal year 2018-19 against Rs. 1.538 billion earmarked for the financial year 2017-18.
However, the previous government allocated Rs. 6.535 billion for Information and Communication Technology under the Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP) for 2018-19. With the cut by the incumbent government on PSDP, the budget allocation has been reduced to Rs. 1.45 billion for IT &T for the current fiscal year.