Along with the Note 10, Samsung also announced its new Galaxy Book S (succeeding the Galaxy Book 2) at the Unpacked event last night.
This device aims at giving you the best of both worlds, marrying the long battery life and LTE connectivity of Smartphones with the performance and power of a typical Windows 10 laptop.
This ultra-light laptop is powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 8cx processor designed for laptops which should be more than enough for everyday tasks.
Design and Display
The Galaxy Book S comes with a premium-looking anodized aluminum body which is ultra-lightweight and durable. With only 11.8 mm thickness the device weighs less than 1 kg.
The display features a 13.3-inch TFT panel with 1080p resolution and 16:9 aspect ratio. The display supports 10-point multi-touch and will be available for sale in two colors: Mercury Gray and Earthy Gold.
As mentioned earlier, the laptop comes with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 8cx processor which is a 7 nm chip designed for specifically for laptops. According to Samsung, this chipset should have, “40 percent greater CPU performance, 80 percent greater graphics performance, and added memory bandwidth” compared to the Galaxy Book 2.
The notebook comes with an instant wake feature and supports Gigabit LTE. With this chipset, Samsung is looking to provide an ‘Always On, Always Connected’ personal computer experience.
Ultraportable devices like this one usually don’t offer much in terms of performance due to their low-performance ARM-based processors. Not this one though.
Qualcomm’s 8cx platform was actually well matched with Intel’s laptop-based Core-series processors so you won’t have to worry about performance on the Galaxy Book S.
Anyways, the chipset is combined with 8GB LPDDR4X RAM and up to 512GB of internal storage. The internal storage can be expanded via a memory card by up to 1TB.
Samsung Galaxy Book S comes with a typical 42Wh battery which, according to Samsung, provides a whopping 23 hours of video playback time. It might actually last you through a whole day of use quite easily thanks to Qualcomm’s power-efficient chip.
It comes with Quick Charge 2.0 and Power Delivery 2.0, which may differ by market and mobile operators.
Samsung Galaxy Book S Specifications
- OS: Windows 10 Home/Pro
- Chipset: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 8cx Compute Platform, 7nm 64-bit Octa-core processor (Max. 2.84 GHz + 1.8GHz)
- Battery: 42Wh (typical)
- Memory: 8GB RAM(LPDDR4X) with 256/512GB Internal storage, Micro SD slot (up to 1 TB)
- Network: LTE Cat.18, Nano SIM
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO
- Bluetooth® v 5.0, USB Type-C, Location (GPS, Galileo*, Glonass, BeiDou*)
- Sensors: Fingerprint Sensor, Hall Sensor, Light Sensor (Keyboard Backlit on/off)
- Camera: 720p HD
- Audio: Stereo speakers, Sound by AKG, immersive sound with Dolby Atmos® technology (Dynamic, Movie, Music, Game, Voice and Personalize Modes)
- Colors: Earthy Gold, Mercury Gray
- Dimensions: 305.2 x 203.2 x 6.2-11.8mm
- Weight: 0.96 kg
- Display: 13.3”, FHD TFT (16:9), Touch: 10-point multi-touch screen