The Interior Ministry has admitted that the number of cybercrimes and complaints are increasing day by day.
According to details submitted to the National Assembly, 50,505 complaints have been registered during the last four years out of which 11,389 complaints converted into inquiries and 1071 Cases/FIRs have been registered till 30th September 2019. Moreover, 982 accused have been arrested in the above-mentioned Cases/FIRs.
It was also revealed that 1325 cases have been registered till 31st January 2020 after the enactment of the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act 2016.
Another 1103 cases have been reported from the year 2007 before the enactment of PECA 2016. In 546 cases, a complete challan has been submitted, for 435 cases an interim challan has been submitted and 344 cases are under investigation. The total cases convicted under PECA 2016 is 14.
Currently, 131 regular/non-development posts are working at the Cybercrime Wing of FIA out of which 83 officers/officials are working as regular/permanent employees and 33 are working on a contract basis. Moreover, a PSCP funded project titled “National Response Centre for Cyber Crimes (NR3C) Project Phase-III” got approved in the CDWP meeting held on 19-03-2018 with 416 contractual posts. Up till now, 354 personnel have been recruited on a contract basis.
The following steps have been taken by the government to prevent cybercrime:
- Cybercrime Wing of FIA has proposed the expansion of its wing through Phase-III of NR3C, which has been approved.
- 10 new cybercrime reporting centers have been notified at the following stations which are operational: Islamabad, Gujranwala, Faisalabad, Multan, Abbottabad, D.I Khan, Sukkur, Hyderabad, Gilgit, Gwadar.
- 407 Cybercrime Investigators, Forensic Experts, Technical Staff, etc., have been recruited.
- Up-gradation of existing Digital Forensic Laboratories and Technical Investigation Tools to meet the growing challenges of the cyber world.
- Capacity building of Cyber Crime Investigators and Technical experts is being ensured by imparting foreign and national framings. Procurement of the latest Investigation and Forensic gadgets for effective cyber investigations is under process.