As the world has been struck by this pandemic, we have witnessed a massive change in global operations and how things were normally done. From basic changes such as ‘Work from Home’, we have seen industries and companies pivot towards newer operating modules and significant changes.
Before we get into what Careem is doing to ensure safety for its customers and captains, let’s shine some light on how the simple ride-hailing application has transformed itself into the Super App for the region. Last month only, ProPakistani conducted an exclusive interview with Mudassir Sheikha, Co-Founder and CEO, which explains the vision and concept behind the Super App in detail.
Similarly, explaining the functions of the Super App in Pakistan, Zeeshan Hasib Baig, Country General Manager, Careem Pakistan stated:
“The simplest way to explain how the Super App works is by comparing it to a mall. In a mall, a customer can find various shops and outlets through which they can get all goods/services they require. The Super App works similarly, providing features such as transport, food, credit transfers, mobile recharge, and delivery in a single app, simplifying the lives of our users all while adding convenience to their daily activities.”
As we are all embracing the new normal, let us come back to our topic of discussion and have a look at what Careem is doing to ensure safety for its customers as well as captains during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Mandatory mask / Zero tolerance policy: To check the spread of the virus, Careem has made it mandatory for all its captains as well as customers to wear a mask in all its trips. Both the customers and captains are entitled to a zero-tolerance policy where they can cancel the ride and complain if the other party is not wearing a mask.
- Rating Customers and Captains on Safety Guidelines: Now the Super App gives you options to rate both captains and customers on the basis of following safety guidelines.
- Raising awareness for Safety: Careem has been working tirelessly to provide the utmost safety for not just its customers but also its captains. They have also released a series of educational videos to raise and spread awareness on safety.
- Collaboration with the government: In addition to spreading awareness on its own platforms, Careem had also organized events in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad, in collaboration with federal, provincial and local governments to raise awareness on safety.
- Distributing Safety Kits: All active Careem Captains have been provided with a safety kit which includes safety equipment such as masks, gloves and hand sanitizers for themselves.
- Car Sanitizing at OC Centers: Sanitizing stations/equipment have been set up at select OC centers for captains to clean their cars between rides. This way all the vehicles are clean and safe.
- Two-person seating capacity: As social distancing is one of the most effective ways to limit the spread of the disease, Careem has made it obligatory that rides will have a maximum seating capacity of 2 passengers in a car. This is also in relation to the SOPs given by the government.
- Contactless Payments: As we have already established the fact that COVID can spread through currency notes, Careem has put extra emphasis on its contactless payments’ sections through Careem Pay. After the launch of Super App, all features in the application can now be paid through Careem Pay, diminishing the risk of the disease.
Lastly, our personal favorite is that a few Careem cars have been spotted in different cities with built-in shields for additional safety.