Although it has been some time, the first hurdle for an aspiring book author was to get past the gatekeepers. What does this mean, exactly? It means spending months-on-end writing book proposals and sample chapters, pitching to local publishers, and then getting to hear that your idea won’t make much money. Now this doesn’t encourage you in any way, right? We understand, and that’s why, we have come up with this article for you. Here’s how to publish your own book.
Also read our take on how to become a better writer!
Who doesn’t like talking about hard work, instead of actually doing something actionable?
*Cue the groans and grumbles of irritation*
Just some light-headed humour there; make room for some motivation because we’ve got exactly what you need!
What’s In It For You? | Basic Steps
This one’s an open reveal, so pay attention! You need to:
- Decide why you want to publish a book
- Get feedback before publishing your book
- Choose a Book Title
- Hire an awesome book editor
- Create your Kindle Direct Publishing Account
- Format and Upload accordingly
- Self-publish your book!
- Decide your price tag
Self-publishing has its benefits. The following chart aptly shows how much you’re in control:
How To Publish Your Own Book | Keeping It Simple
Here are some awesome ways to write a book that’s worth your headache:
- Buy a calendar. The best way to complete your book is to have a calendar that schedules your goals according to a timeline.
- Create an outline. An outline is like a map of your book that provides direction to your train of thought. It keeps you on track and ensures that your ideas are organized.
- Develop a writing habit. Condition yourself to write at the same time every day. With this practice, it will soon become a habit that will make writing a book automatic.
- Get an accountability partner. You can hold each other accountable to write and finish your by your “draft done” date.
- Build your writing environment. Yes, this can be a blanket for if you choose to use “build” literally or you can simply find an area where your head is clear, there are no distractions, and where you can write in peace.
Furthermore, build a strong reliance on critical feedback. Everything from creative writing to factual, non-fiction works needs feedback in order to produce a polished publication.
Honestly, writing tips can come from anywhere. However, the best tips usually come from first-hand readers – confer with a list of friends you can trust!
A Decision-Making Conundrum | What’s Your Book Called?
We encourage you to solve this one with caution, and simplicity.
The key to choosing a perfect title is: the simpler the title, the better.
Keep it simple; your title should be clear on what your readers should expect to learn from the book. While deciding on what to name a nameless Jane Doe (bad joke), consider the following questions:
- Would the title teach something new to a reader?
- Would the title impact a life?
- Should your words change someone, would you be able to account for it?
- Is the title length within viewable Amazon limits?
- Is the title just a dead give-away of fiction, or an instant brew of bottled emotions?
Note: Keep your intensity under control. The last point here might encourage otherwise, but it’s only there to inspire a positive food for thought!
*Hiring a book editor can be a wholesome experience in its own complicated way, but if you’re looking for one, try Upwork’s top picks!*
Don’t Judge A Book By Its Cover | How To Publish Your Own Book
What makes a good book cover?
Consider the following points before finalizing your design picks:
- Like literature, too much detail confuses a typical reader. Inspire minimalism; simplicity is the key!
- Get in touch with professional cover designers. Typically, a good cover designer has industry knowledge and has studied what works best.
- For reference: If you’re writing a book intended for an audience of faith, then having an overly saturated cover doesn’t make sense.
Check Upwork for getting in touch with some awesome book cover editors!
Kindle Direct Self-Publishing Account | Visit Amazon
Amazon has a self-publishing service called Kindle Direct Publishing where you can create and manage your Kindle eBook, paperback, and audio books.
Here’s how to set up your KDP account on Amazon:
- Visit https://kdp.amazon.com and create an account with either your existing Amazon account or your email address.
- Next, you must complete your tax information. You will not be able to submit your published book if you do not complete this step.
- Once your tax information is complete, hit “Finished” and your account is complete!
After completing basic text document for your book, visit your KDP account and proceed towards Formatting and Uploading. The site is pretty much SEO-enabled, so select a maximum number of book categories. This helps the book reach a broader audience!
Depending on how your book is received by readers, price your book by researching KDP’s manifest and making rough comparisons.
There you have it! This was all about how to publish your own book. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment in the section provided below.