Mobile Phone Services Not to be Suspended on Eid: Interior Minister
Mobile phone services will not be suspended on Eid-ul-Fitr, reported Express Tribune, while quoting Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan.
Earlier there were doubts that mobile phone might get suspended on the occasion of Eid due to security threats. This was looking more possible with recent mobile phone service blockade on Youm-e-Ali on 21st Ramadan.
Recent reports, however, clarify that mobile phone services are to largely remain open on Eid.
At the same time the Minister Interior has hinted that the provincial governments could suspend cellular services if they felt the security situation demanded it.
It merits mentioning here that Eid days are one of those busiest days for telecom operators when their traffic spikes go up to 10-15 folds of usual day traffic.
Telecom operators had to bear hefty losses last year when mobile and wireless service were suspended on Eid Day on directions of Mr. Rehman Malik, then Interior Minister.
It maybe recalled that cellular operators oppose such forced mobile suspensions and have urged the government to take alternate measures to tackle security situation.
In a related news, majority of mobile operators will not be offering SMS and minutes bundles during Eid days. We will be offering you more details on this in a separate post.
- Youm-e-Ali: Cellular Services to Remain Suspended in Various Cities
- Prime Minister for Taking Steps to Safeguard Mobile Service
- Main Na Manu Haar: Rehman Malik
- Mobile Services to Remain Suspended in Karachi for Three Hours Today
- Mobile Services Likely to Remain Suspended During Eid: Rehman Malik
- Mobile Phone Services Suspended For Over 24 Hours in Islamabad / Rawalpindi
- Rehman Malik Blocked Cellular Services for His Own Business Interests: Taliban Spokesperson