After long drawn speculation about which iPhone model would be unveiled, Apple has launched the iPhone 4S at the “Lets talk iPhone” event today.
No mention of the redesigned iPhone 5, by the way. Design wise, the iPhone 4S looks just like the iPhone 4, but hardware wise it’s all new.
Here’s a quick rundown of the features it’s boasting:
Apple is calling iPhone 4s as world phone. It supports both GSM and CDMA network and comes in both black and white color with same prices. As mentioned above, Apple didn’t redesign iPhone this time – iPhone 4S looks exactly like iPhone 4 – however, there are plenty of upgrades in terms of hardware (and software obviously).
It’ll run on a scaled down version of the dual core A5 chip (which is the same as the one on the iPad). The graphics are supposed to be seven times better than the iPhone 4 and CPU performance will be double that of its predecessor.
The camera also gets an improvement. The 8MP unit in the iPhone 4S will have a “five element lens” which will be capable of a resolution of 3264×2448. Photo capture and the rear light will also be faster and brighter respectively.
The phone will be capable of shooting 1080p and feature real time video image stabilization as well, which is a feature new for smartphones. There’s another feature called the Hybrid IR filter, but what everything basically means is that the camera on the iPhone 4S will be a lot better than anything on the previous models.
Battery and Antenna:
Battery timings of the phone, Apple claims, will be up to 8 hours of 3G talk times, 14 hours of 2G talk time, 6 hours of 3G browsing, and 9 hours of Wi-Fi browsing. It seems that Apple took a note from the antenna fiasco with the iPhone 4; the iPhone 4S will feature dual antennas. It will switch between the two to provide the best performance for call quality and download speed.
One of the features that I’m sure will be talked about a lot is Siri, the intelligent assistant. The idea is that you can ask your phone any question and it will answer it. Questions could be like what the weather is, or you could ask it to read a text message or you could ask it to set an alarm for a specific time. It can even search Wikipedia and Wolfram-Alpha to look for answers to your questions.
Initially it will support English, French and German. But the service is being launched in beta so more services and support will be added later.
Other Features include:
When iPhone 4S is launching?
The launch of the iPhone 4S will be paired with the release of the updated iOS 5 on 12 October. It will include a host of improvements like new notification updates system, wireless updates and twitter integration among others.
The iPhone 4S will be available in the usual 16GB and 32 GB models as well as a 64 GB model, which is new for Apple.
Prices will be 199$, 299$, and 399$ for the 16, 32 and 64 GB models respectively. The phone will launch on October 14th, with pre-orders starting a week early.
iPhone 4S Prices in Pakistan:
iPhone 4S won’t be available in Pakistan till November 2011, we have confirmed with online retailors. They say price would be around 60,000-65,000; but they haven’t made their minds so far.
Retailors say getting unlocked iPhone, particularly in bulk, won’t be easy compared to earlier iPhone releases. However, they are working their best to make iPhone 4S available in Pakistan. When? it’s still a question for many.
Here are complete specifications for iPhone 4S:
- World phone
- UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
- GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)3
- 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
- Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
- Retina display
- 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
- 960×640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi
- 800:1 contrast ratio (typical)
- 500 cd/m2 max brightness (typical)
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front and back
- Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
- Camera Photos and Video:
- 8-megapixel camera
- Tap to focus
- Face detection in still images
- LED flash
- Video recording, HD (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio
- Video stabilisation
- Front camera with VGA-quality photos and video at up to 30 frames per second
- Photo and video geotagging
- Power and Battery:
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
- Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM)
- Standby time: Up to 200 hours
- Internet use: Up to 6 hours on 3G, up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi
- Video playback: Up to 10 hours
- Audio playback: Up to 40 hours