The Future of Internet Privacy is Bleak, According to Experts

It is clear as day that online presence can not go hand in hand with internet privacy. For anyone online who wishes to share things with others, there is automatically a need to venture into public space.

Internet privacy has clearly been a much debated topic of late. However, it is highly unlikely that these debates favouring internet privacy will translate into substantial results. Internet & American Life Project by Pew Research Center has recently unearthed facts that hint at the bleak future of internet privacy.

A recently published report by the name ‘The Future of Privacy’ was meant to forecast the possibility of privacy-rights infrastructure being established by year 2025 with the provision for monetization and business innovation alongside guaranteeing protection of personal data.

Internet privacy could become a mere fantasy by 2025 according to experts

55 percent of the participants of the survey believed that this is not possible whereas the remaining 45 percent were hopeful of positive changes in privacy-rights infrastructure during the next 10 years. Unsurprisingly, both sides appreciated that a person’s online existence is bound to be public as one keeps up with news and networks. One participant went so far as to state, “Privacy will be the new taboo and will not be appreciated or understood by upcoming generations.”

‘The Future of Privacy’ brought to light some really interesting ideas. Undoubtedly, security and privacy are the key areas of concern in the world of online technology. The constant monitoring of internet activity that goes on surely warrants the need for better systems to guarantee online safety of one’s identity. Of course, there is also the curious case of privacy-penetrating technology as opposed to privacy-protecting technology.

Evolving technologies and gadgets are going to make it harder to remain anonymous online

Experts refer to this tension as the arms race dynamic. Take Google Glass as a form of reference. As the project gains popularity and support, the world learns more and more about predicting data and programming. The more this happens, the lesser privacy there is for the online audience to enjoy. Similarly, the much awaited Apple Watch will not be without challenges to the privacy and protection of people.

George Jepsen, Conneticut Attorney State General, realizes the significance of this which is why he expressed keen interest in meeting Tim Cook, the Apple CEO. The adopted means of protecting personal data in the Apple Watch are expected to be the highlight of the discussion. The future of privacy may seem dark and gritty but that’s no reason for anyone to be complacent.

If you want to read the complete report, you can do so here.

  • why is there 0 comments written on every article even there are comments on that article.. fix it @aamir7:disqus

  • Ltd feature videos

    Watch more at LTD