Wiki Loves Earth 2016 is well underway. It also includes Pakistan in its list, which joined the participants last year.
Pakistan had the second highest number of participants and the 4th highest number of picture submissions in the competition. The winner was Pakistan’s own Zaeem Siddiq, with a submission named “Shangrila Lake”.
Shangrila Lake – Last Year’s Winning Entry from Pakistan
What is WikiPedia Loves Pakistan?
Dubbed “Wikipedia loves Northern Pakistan,” it’s an online photography competition about the natural heritage sites of Pakistan and is a part of Wiki loves Earth competition as a whole.
This competition is held to promote national heritage sites of the countries that are participating to encourage people to take pictures of sites with natural significance. This also lets them put it under a free license to allow reusing the images by anyone. For this reason, the competition is held annually since September 2013.
The competition lasts from 1st May to 31st May 2016.
How to Participate
To participate, you’ll need to register an account on Wikipedia and upload your photographs by using the “UPLOAD NOW” button. There are some regulations concerning this competition, which are mentioned here:
- You will have to provide your e-mail address when creating the account so we can contact you if your photograph wins.
- All entries must be original photographs taken by you. Please make sure that you are not uploading someone else’s photos. Contestants as well entries that constitute copyright infringement and fraud will be disqualified.
- Images with watermarks, copyright symbols and timestamp are not allowed and could disqualify a potential winning entry.
They have also provided a FAQs page for any concerning queries related to the competition.
Awards and Judging Criteria for Wiki Loves Earth 2016
The panel of juries will evaluate the photographs and awards for the best photos in June. They will choose the top 10 entries based on:
- Technical quality of the photograph;
- Originality and creativity;
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image to the Wikipedia
The top ten participants will receive several non-cash prizes, including Wikipedia merchandise, WLE merchandise and Creative Commons merchandise.
The jury for Pakistan will choose three best and seven highly commended photographs for the international contest which will have its own jury and prizes. The first international winner will win a travel scholarship to attend international Wikimania conference which will be held in Canada in 2017.