Daraz claims to have become country’s first online store to have crossed PKR 1 billion sale during its annual Black Friday event on November 25.
Visits to Daraz website had already been trending up in the period leading up to Black Friday. At midnight, on November 25th, the floodgates truly opened, said the online firm in a statement.
According to stats shared by Daraz, 20% of Pakistan’s internet population visited Daraz during the Black Friday. It said that simultaneous traffic, at one time, reached 5x of the peak traffic from last year.
There was incredible sales momentum – the sale got off to a blistering start with orders equal to 2 regular days in the first 10 seconds of the sale. Daraz surged past last year’s sale and traffic records just a few hours into the sale.
Daraz said that it had worked with partner brands and vendors for months, training them and preparing them for the biggest sale of the year. Company also made sure that its partners had deep stocks available for all the top products, allowing tens of thousands of customers to enjoy the great deals.
Major investments were made in doubling the Customer Service team, Warehousing space and Delivery capacity to ensure a smooth customer experience despite the exceptional sales numbers.
Thousands of orders were confirmed within minutes and most of the orders were delivered in the first 48 hours.
“Reaching Rs 1 billion in sales on a single day is a milestone not only for Daraz, but for all of Pakistan. Ecommerce is no longer a small part of the market but a cornerstone of the retail market. This year we focused on having a very large assortment of deals with deep inventory and a great shopping experience, so all our customers could get the products they had been dreaming of. I want to thank our sellers and our amazing team for making this possible,” said Bjarke Mikkelsen, Co CEO Daraz Group
- At 10am of Black Friday Sale, Daraz had already surpassed the number of orders that happened in last years’ Black Friday
- 55% of the total orders were on a mobile device – a clear indication of how Pakistan is increasingly a mobile-first market
- Customers showed more reliance in the safe and convenient online prepayment solution. 35% of the total orders were prepaid transactions with Easypaisa mobile account as customers’ favourite.
- More Ponds and Sunsilk bundles were sold on Black Friday than in all of 2016
- Zong’s special flash-sales during Black Friday, offering 1GB for Rs 1, sold out in 10 minutes
- Daraz Online Shopping app was trending on the app store – so much so that it was down for an hour
Until Daraz introduced the concept last year, there was no Black Friday in Pakistan. This year, the whole country is buzzing for Black Friday, other retailers have also started to piggyback off the idea.
On radio, every second ad is about some Black Friday sale. On TV, people are reporting Black Friday sales from not just KLI but also Multan and Peshawar.
There is a surge of people in all the leading malls, with people queuing up outside retail stores, for the many Black Friday sales that are taking place. Daraz takes pride in starting a trend that will now go on forever.