The government has earmarked Rs 42 billion for Pakistan Railways (PR) under the Public Sector Development Program (PSDP) for the fiscal year 2017-18 against the demand of Rs 67.5 billion.
The government had budgeted, Rs 41 billion for the outgoing financial year 2016-17 and released Rs 33.86 billion under the PSDP for different development projects so far.
Railways had Rs 67.252 billion out of which 92% were for the completion of ongoing projects and 8% for new projects and targeted o complete nine projects by the end of June 2017.
According to the budgetary documents, of the total budget Rs 37.198 billion has been earmarked for ongoing schemes and Rs 4.802 billion for new schemes including Rs 4.9 billion for China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) related projects.
Pakistan Railways is facing shortage of locomotives and for this reason; government has earmarked Rs15.77 billion for the procurement / manufacture of 75 locomotive engines. The government has earmarked Rs 4.5 billion for a new scheme of procurement / manufacture pf 830 high capacity bogie freight wagons and 250 passenger coaches.
An amount of Rs 4.198 billion has been earmarked for preliminary design/drawings for upgradation/rehabilitation of main line -1 and establishment of dry port near Havelian under the CPEC and hiring of design/drawings vetting consultants.
For ongoing schemes,
- Rs 1.626 billion has been earmarked for doubling of track from Khanewal to Raiwind,
- Rs 1.76 billion for mechanization of track maintenance,
- Rs 1.77 billion for rehabilitation of 300 traction motors,
- Rs 529 million for procurement / manufacturing of 58 diesel electric locomotives,
- Rs 43.678 million for rehabilitation of 27 HGMU-3-class diesel electric locomotives,
- Rs 5 million has been earmarked for rehabilitation of railway assets damaged during riots of December 27-28, 2007 and
- Rs 711.859 million for rehabilitation of rolling stock and track, but no amount has earmarked for the revival of Karachi circular railways modern commuter system.
An amount of Rs 607.111 million have been earmarked for track rehabilitation on Lodharan-Khanpur section.
Four new schemes have been included in the list of which Rs 300 million has earmarked for rehabilitation / up-gradation of ML-1 including acquisition of land for new dry port at Buldhair district Haripure (CPEC), Rs one million each for coal transportation by rail to Jamshoro power plant and feasibility study for rail link from Havelian to Pak China border (CPEC) and Rs 4.5 billion for procurement/manufacture of 830 high capacity bogie freight wagons and 250 passenger coaches.