If you’re familiar with Samsung’s flagship release cycle, you might know that an “Active” version is usually released in a few months following the original variant.
True to form, Samsung has just released the Galaxy S8 Active.
The phone may not have the iconic design of the S8, but it makes up for it with military-grade protection and a larger battery.
Design and Display
This is still one of Samsung’s better-looking rugged designs. The screen-to-body ratio is still higher than 80% which is impressive to say the least.
It is IP68-certified, for dust and water resistance (1.5 meter underwater for 30 minutes), as well as MIL-STD-810G certified for thermal, shock, humidity, solar and other extreme weather conditions.
The display doesn’t curve like the Inifinty Display on the vanilla S8, which is understandable considering that it was the most vulnerable area of the phone.
Otherwise, the display is the same 5.8-inch Super AMOLED panel with Quad HD (2560 x 1440) resolution.
Internals and Storage
The phone comes in a solitary Snapdragon 835 edition, with octa-core setup. The amount of RAM is 4 GB, while the internal storage options are limited to 64 GB. The storage is expandable via a dedicated microSD card slot.
Same as the S8, the Active version features Android Nougat 7.0 coupled with Samsung’s TouchWiz or Grace UX.
The cameras are also brought over from the S8. There’s a 12 MP camera with OIS and 4K video, as well as a front 8 MP shooter with wide-angle lens. Samsung still hasn’t used a dual-lens camera in a flagship but that may change soon.
The battery is a major area of improvement, being 4,000 mAh in size rather than 3,000 on the regular S8. The price of the phone is set at $850, which is $100 more than the regular model.
The phone is exclusive to the carrier AT&T for a limited time, after which it won’t be a surprise to see it unlocked in other markets.
Samsung Galaxy S8 Active Specifications
- CPU: 2.35 GHz quad-core Kryo + 1.9 GHz quad-core Kryo
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835
- OS: Android 7.1.1 Nougat with Touchwiz UI
- Supported Networks: 2G, 3G, 4G LTE
- Fingerprint scanner
- Iris scanner
- IP 68 dust/water resistance
- MIL-STD-810G compliant – salt, dust, humidity, rain, vibration, solar radiation, transport and thermal shock resistant
- 5.8” Super AMOLED with 2K (2560 x 1440) resolution
- RAM: 4 GB
- Internal: 64 GB
- Card slot: yes, by microSD card to 256 GB
- Primary: 12 MP, f/1.7, 26mm, phase detection autofocus, OIS, LED flash, 4K video
- Secondary: 8 MP, f/1.7, autofocus, 1440p video
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS, LTE,
- Battery: 4,000 mAh
- Price: $850