Central Development Working Party has sanctioned 31 development projects worth Rs. 360 billion including 12 mega projects valued Rs. 342 billion. These have been referred to the Executive Committee of National Economic Council (ECNEC) for final approval.
Deputy Chairman Planning Commission, Sartaj Aziz, chaired the meeting on Thursday. Officials from different ministries and provincial governments also attended the meeting. The approved projects include schemes in transport & communications, energy, water resources, information technology, physical planning & housing, environment and health.
Energy, Water Resources and Transportation Projects
In the energy sector, CDWP has approved three projects worth Rs. 3.714 billion. In addition to that, three energy projects worth Rs. 41.387 billion were referred to ECNEC for approval. The projects approved in energy sector are:
- Construction of 132 kV Grid Station at Splinji and Allied 132 kV SDT Darwaza – Splinji Transmission Line (65 km)
- 220 kV Jamrud Substation along with Associated 220 kV Transmission Line.
- Establishment of New 132 kV Grid Station Puran, Tehsil Martung.
CDWP considered two projects of water resources with a total proposed cost of Rs. 16 billion. Both of these projects were referred to ECNEC. The water resource projects approved are:
- Construction of 200 Dams/Check Dams in Killa Abdullah, Gulistan and Dobandai Tehsils, District Killa Abdullah.
- Construction of Garuk Storage Dam, District Kharan, Balochistan.
CDWP also recommended two projects of Transport and Communications with a total proposed cost of Rs. 193 billion. Both of these projects were referred to ECNEC for further approval.
The projects approved in Transport and Communications sector are:
- Design, Tendering Assistance and Construction of Malakand Tunnel Project valuing Rs. 177.9 billion
- Procurement/Construction of 06 x Maritime Patrol Vessels (4 x 600 Tons and 2 x 1500 Tons MPVs) for Pakistan Maritime Security Agency (PMSA) at a cost of Rs. 15.948 billion.
Housing and Science and Technology Projects
A total of nine Physical Planning and Housing projects were proposed by CDWP out of which 7 were approved and one was referred to ECNEC. The total proposed cost of these projects is Rs. 28 billion. The approved projects in Physical planning and Housing are:
- Construction of SSP Office, Lines HQ & Beat for National Highways and Motorway Police at Gwadar Balochistan.
- Construction of Accommodation for 4 x wing at Gorgana, Painda Cheena, Dogra, Shilman Khyber Agency.
- Construction of Model Prison at H-16, Islamabad.
- Land Acquisition and Site Development of Pakistan Institute of Development Economics for Construction of New Campus.
- Improvement and Up Lift of Gulshan-e-Jinnah F-5/2, Islamabad.
- Construction of Federal Lodge No.II Shami Road Peshawar.
- Construction of Accommodation, Training and Administrative Blocks and Barracks at Gilgit, Hunza, Diamer and Skardu, Gilgit Baltistan for the Establishment of Special Protection unit (SPU) for Gilgit Baltistan Police.
The CDWP also considered four science and technology projects out of which three were approved. The cost of these projects is Rs. 2.35 billion. The projects approved are:
- Development of Sindh Madrasatul Islam (SMIU) Campus at Education City, Malir, Karachi (Phase-I).
- The Upgrade of Silicon Strip Tracker and Muon system for the Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) Experiment.
- Research and Development and Up-gradation and Strengthening of R&D Labs of National Centre for Physics.
Health and Industries and Commerce Projects
In heath sector, one project with a total cost of Rs. 33 billion was referred to ECNEC for further approval. The project approved is Prime Minister’s National Health Program (Phase-II).
The CDWP considered five projects of Industries and Commerce out of which three were approved and one project was referred to ECNEC. The projects approved are:
- Fruits, Vegetables and Condiments Processing Centre Naushahro Feroze.
- National Business Development Program for SMEs.
- Product Development Center (PDC) for Composites based Sports Goods.
Governance and Environment Projects
The CDWP also approved a governance sector project with a total cost of Rs. 732 million. The project approved is CPEC Support Project by Ministry of Planning, Development and Reform.
In the environment sector, the CDWP approved one project with a cost of Rs. 193.6 million. The approved project is Generation of Global Environment benefits from improved decision making systems.