We all love a good ol’ red velvet cake! What’s not to love about it anyway?
That gooey moist red velvet cake texture, accompanied by a decadent creamy frosting – it sounds and tastes absolutely delicious!
And the best part? Its not too hard to make one of yours. At your very home that is! How? We’ll show you how.
Try out this super easy and simple recipe to make your very own red velvet cake. We’re pretty sure that’ll leave your family and friends impressed (and happy)!
For the Red Velvet Cake
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups oil or melted (unsalted) butter.
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp red food coloring
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup buttermilk (Substitute: 1 cup milk + 1tbsp lemon juice, mixed together)
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
For the Red Velvet Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease 2 round layer cake pans.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa powder together.
- Beat sugar and eggs together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix together oil, vinegar, food coloring, and vanilla essence. Add to the bowl of eggs and sugar and beat until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and buttermilk to the egg mixture, by alternating the buttermilk and dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Pour batter into pans. Tap them on the table to level out the batter and release air bubbles
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Note: Be careful not to over bake or you’ll end up with a dry cake.
- Let layers slightly cool for about 10 minutes before turning out of pan, to completely cool over wire racks.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Mix the softened cream cheese and margarine well.
- Add sugar and beat until well mixed but don’t over mix. Add vanilla after it.
- Spread between layers and on top and sides of cake.
Optional: garnish with toasted walnuts or pecans.
And there you have it! Your very own slice of velvety-red confectionery cake.
So what are you waiting for? Make your own red velvet cake at home and do let us know how it goes for you. We’ll be back with more mouth-watering recipes soon.