Sharp, the original manufacturer of “bezel-less” handsets is back with a new upper mid-range phone, though one which doesn’t amaze us quite as much in this constant flood of bezel-less phones.
The new 6″ Aquos S3 is still the most-compact 6-inch phone in the market and comes complete with a notch at the top to achieve its “groundbreaking” design.
Design and Display
The phone has a 91% screen-to-body ratio, at least according to Sharp’s claims. If true, this is the best in its class. It will be available only in Black.
The display itself comes with FHD+ (2160 x 1080) resolution, in a 2:1 aspect ratio. The display goes up to 550 nits of brightness and manages 1500:1 contrast ratio.
Also, the notch comes with a front-facing shooter, with the fingerprint scanner moved to the back to make the design seamless at the front.
Internals and Storage
Under the hood, you get the mid-range octa-core Snapdragon 630 processor, with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB of storage. Storage is also expandable via a hybrid slot.
It runs on Android 8.0 Oreo with Sharp’s Smile UX. The phone is dual SIM by default.
The Aquos S3 comes with a normal 12 MP wide-angle (f/1.75) lens, coupled with a 13 MP telephoto one. The dual camera setup is complemented by a dual LED flash and dual pixel autofocus as well as 2x optical zoom.
There’s a 16 MP shooter at the front too with AI-assisted beautifying features.
The battery capacity is set at 3200 mAh, which supports Quick Charge 3.0. Pricing is set at NTD 11,990 (around Rs. 47,000), though, we don’t know whether the phone will be available outside of Taiwan.
Sharp Aquos S3 Specifications
- CPU: 4x 2.2 GHz+ 4x 1.8 GHz Cortex A-53/
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 630
- GPU: Adreno 508
- OS: Android 8.0 Oreo, customized with Smile UX
- Supported Networks: 2G, 3G, 4G LTE; hybrid dual SIM
- Fingerprint scanner
- 91% screen to body ratio (claimed)
- Dual camera setup
- 6” IPS LCD 18:9 with Full HD+ (2160 x 1080) resolution
- RAM: 4 GB
- Internal: 64 GB
- Card slot: yes, by up to 256 GB
- Primary: 12 MP (f/1.8, 1/2.55″, 1.4 µm, Dual Pixel PDAF) + 13 MP, phase detection autofocus, 2x optical zoom, dual-LED (dual tone) flash
- Secondary: 16 MP
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Bluetooth 4.1, NFC, GPS, LTE
- Battery: 3,200 mAh, Quick Charge 3.0
- Price: ~ Rs. 47,600