In a major arms deal with China, Pakistan will get 4 advanced guided-missile frigate Type 054AP. The steel cutting ceremony for two of these multi-role Frigates took place at Hudong Zhonghua Shipyard in China on 1st November.
With ships expected to enter service by 2021, Pakistan Navy’s arsenal will increase, strengthening the force’s capability to maintain peace and stability in the Arabian Sea.
Type 054A frigate is an advanced version of Type 054 frigate with advanced weaponry and sensors and it can accommodate a crew of 165 sailors including officers. The first of this frigate entered the People’s Liberation Army Navy Surface Force in 2007.
The Type 054A is equipped with the following weapon systems:
- 32 vertical launcher systems with the ability to fire the following:
- HQ-16 medium-range air defense missiles
- anti-submarine missiles
- 2×4 C-803 anti-ship/land-attack cruise missiles
- two Type 730 seven-barrel 30 mm Close-in Weapon Systems (CIWS) guns
- 2×3 324mm Yu-7ASW torpedo launchers
- 2×6 Type 97 240mm anti-submarine rocket launchers
- 2 Type 726-4 18-tube decoy rocket launchers
It also comes equipped with a helideck fitted with a helicopter handling system to support missions for mid-sized helicopters. It can accommodate a Harbin Z-9C or Kamov Ka-28 Helix on its single landing spot.