An important meeting of the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) would be held at the Ministry of Planning, Development, and Special Initiatives on Friday (January 22) to review the progress of finalizing the draft CIDB Bill, 2021.
Sources told Propakistani that the meeting of the CIDB will discuss the draft CIDB Bill, 2021 to initiate the legislation process for the establishment of the entity.
The purpose of the CIDB is to promote, encourage, and facilitate the private construction industry and to encourage investment in the infrastructure sector, and safeguard the investments already made therein.
It is also aimed at providing a one-window facility to industry participants.
According to the sources, the bill has proposed to establish a special Tribunal to hear the complaints of the private construction industry against government departments or stakeholders.
The principal office of CIDB will be in Islamabad and it may establish regional offices at such other places in Pakistan, as it deems appropriate.
The Board may prescribe standards for the construction industry including but not limited to design, processes, construction techniques, products and materials or as prescribed by the Executive Council from time to time.
The Board may register and maintain a roster of construction industry professionals including but not limited to project managers, executive engineers, 3rd party supervisor engineers for construction contracts, owner’s engineers, tradesmen, construction foremen, construction supervisors, pre-shipment inspection agents of suitable qualifications and experience with a view to raising standards of performance and delivery in construction services in Pakistan and regulating human resources.
The Executive Council shall consist of the following Members:
- Chairman, a nominee of the Prime Minister, who shall be an eminent professional from the private sector and not falling within the scope of a public official (whether in the service of Pakistan and any of the Provinces or elected representative),
- Chief Executive Officer of the Construction Industry (Member/Secretary),
- Secretary, Ministry of Railways, Pakistan or his nominee not below the rank of Additional Secretary or equivalent- Member,
- Secretary, Ministry of Water Resources or his nominee not below the rank of Additional Secretary or equivalent- Member,
- Secretary, Ministry of Communications or his nominee not below the rank of Additional Secretary or equivalent- Member,
- Secretary, Ministry of Housing and Works or his nominee not below the rank of Additional Secretary or equivalent- Member,
- Nominee of the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) from the Banking Industry of Pakistan, not below the rank of Executive Vice President –Member,
- Member (Infrastructure and Regional Connectivity), Planning Commission, Government of Pakistan,
- One nominee each of the Provincial Governments of Punjab, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Sindh, and Balochistan, from the respective Planning and Development Board Department not below BS-21 officer,
- One woman eminent from the private sector belonging to academia, legal fraternity, the management or chartered accountants, civil engineers etc, having 16 years of education and 10 years’ experience of relevant infrastructure industry to be nominated by the Deputy Chairman Planning Commission- Member,
- Two nominees from each provincial Chapters of the Constructors Association of Pakistan (CAP)- Member,
- One nominee of the Constructors Association of Member Pakistan (CAP) from Islamabad Capital, Territory- Member,
- Two nominees of the Association of Consulting Member Engineers Pakistan (ACEP)- Member,
- One nominee of the Association from the Cement Member Manufacturing Sector registered with the DG Trade Organization-Member, and
- One nominee of the Association from the Steel Re-Rolling Sector registered with the DG Trade Organization -Member.