Most people don’t think about it too often, but the console does start to slow down over time due to all the dust building up inside. For your console to work efficiently, all you have to do is to keep your console clean. Here’s how to clean your console to remove all the dust.
Consoles like Xbox and PlayStation are sturdy enough that they can withstand some wear and tear over the years. But, dust is the one thing that can make one heck of an effect on their performance. A combination of dust and heavy use can damage the hardware of the gaming system. Therefore, keeping your console clean must be a top priority if you don’t want a reduction in the system performance.
How to Clean Your PlayStation
If your PlayStation has become louder in recent days then you likely have a unit with dust built up inside. This means that the fan is working too hard and causing your PlayStation to get too hot. So, to keep it safe from hardware failure, you need to do the following.
Things you need
- Clean and dry microfiber cloth
- T9 screwdriver
- Phillips screwdriver
- Can of compressed air
- Cotton bud
Before telling you guys about the procedure, we like to mention that the hardware cleaning we are going to tell you about will void your warranty claim. So, don’t use this method if your PlayStation is still under warranty.
- Turn off your PlayStation completely and disconnect all the cords and cables.
- Take a dry microfiber cloth and wipe out all the dust from the exterior of your PlayStation.
- Once you’ve wiped down all the dust from the exterior, peel off the stickers from the back.
- Now remove the screws with the help T9 screwdriver.
- After that, slide off the case and use compressed air to blow the dust off from the exposed interior.
Note: Use the compressed air in short bursts and keep the can upright.
- Now remove the screws holding the power supply with the help of both Phillips screwdriver and T9 screwdriver.
- Once all the screws have been removed, gently lift the power supply and set it aside, making sure that the power supply is not disconnected.
- Take a cotton bud and clean the dust from the fan. Slide the cotton bud between the fan blades to wipe down all the dust.
- Now use the compressed air to blow all the dust off from the fan. Aim the compressed air in such a way that all the dust blows up and away from the fan. Again, use the compressed air in short bursts.
- Finally, reattach all the parts and use microfiber cloth again to wipe the dust from the exterior.
Note: For controllers, you can use any clean cloth to wipe all the dust from front and back both.
How to Clean your Xbox
Microsoft does not recommend you to open your Xbox and urges you to get any professional help if you encounter any problems. Unlike Xbox 360, Xbox One does not have a removable faceplate. So, you cannot open it at all. You can only clean the exterior and ports of your Xbox. How to clean the Xbox exterior? Follow these simple steps:
- First, unplug your Xbox.
- Take a microfiber cloth and wipe down all the dust from the front, back, top and bottom of your Xbox.
- After cleaning the exterior of your Xbox, use can of compressed air on the ports and the fan grill in short bursts.
- Lastly, use the microfiber cloth again and remove all the dust that has settled atop of your Xbox.
Note: Just like PlayStation controllers, you can clean your Xbox controllers with the help of microfiber cloth.
Basically, your consoles are dust magnets but there are simple things you can do to minimize the amount of dust that can enter in your console. Like you can cover the console with a piece of cloth or you can use the protective cover to stop your console from getting dirty.
Well, there you have it guys! This is all about how to clean your console to remove all the dust. If you have any queries then feel free to ask it in the comments section.