Grooming your pets is as necessary as grooming yourself. While you can take your pet to a professional groomer, it isn’t always economical or possible in the current scenario. So, grooming your pet at home is a good way to take care of your pet. This article is all about how to groom your pets at home.
Also Read: How to save money for vacation
Before we begin, we would like to point out that you should consult with your veterinarian before doing any grooming practices at home. If you do have the required equipment and the knowledge about recommended precautions to bathe, clip nails, or groom their fur, there is no reason to not do certain grooming procedures at home.
So, to keep your pet clean and healthy, here are the tips on how to groom your pets at home.
Brushing your Pet
All long-haired pets like dogs and cats need regular brushing to keep their fur in good condition. Brushing your pet will remove all the dirt and keep their skin clean and irritant-free. This will also keep your pet’s skin from matting. Matted skin can cause mild skin irritation to your pet which then leads to infection and stops blood circulation in your pet. So, brush your pets regularly and make sure they aren’t a host to any unwanted parasites.
Note: Ask your veterinarian which brush is appropriate for your pet because sometimes you need a special brush which is suitable to your pet’s skin and breed.
Bathing your Pet
You should bathe your pet once or twice in a month. This way they will remain clean and healthy. Just like brushing your pet, you should always talk with your veterinarian about what is best way to bathe your pet. Here are some basic tips:
- Fill a large tub of lukewarm water.
- Completely wet your pet with water.
- Take a pet shampoo and gently massage your pet with it.
- Now rinse the shampoo with water.
- Take a towel or cloth and dry them off completely.
Note: Be careful to not throw water directly into your pet eyes, ears and nose.
Also, make sure that the bath time takes place in a warm setting because bathing in cold weather can cause your pet’s body temperature to drop. When you think your pet is smelly and dirty then bathe your pet, otherwise don’t.
Trimming your Pet’s Hair
Now that your dog is brushed and washed, you want to give your pet a trim. If your pet has long hair then you will need clippers to cut them. If you don’t have clippers, then buy one from the market or order it online. Ask your veterinarian or take help from the professional groomer and ask about how to trim your cat’s or dog’s hair. You can use scissors as well if you don’t have proper clippers.
Read the following instructions for cutting your pet hairs.
- Once you have all the relevant equipment, you need to brush your pet’s hair.
- After that, decide how short you want to cut the fur.
- Use clippers or scissors to start cutting your pet’s hair.
- Start trimming from front and then move towards the back of your pet.
- Try to hold your pet gently while cutting its hair.
- Work around all the areas slowly and carefully. Don’t rush the procedure.
- Lastly, reward your pet once the cutting is completed.
Note: If you’re not comfortable with cutting or trimming your pet’s hair then it is a wise decision to go to a professional groomer.
Clipping your Pet’s Nails
When you hear tapping on the ground when your pet walks, then it is a good time to cut its nails. How to do it? Read the following instructions.
- Buy a nail clipper or scissors made for pets from the market or online store.
- Take your pet’s paw and hold it firmly.
- Now cut the nails from top to bottom at a certain angle.
- Repeat the trim a little but just stop above the quick. The “quick” is a blood vessel of your pet and it should be avoided.
Note: If you’re unsure about this process then you should consult your veterinarian or groomer.
We hope that you’ve found all your answers regarding how to groom your pets at home. If you want more guides like this, let us know in the comments section.