As coronavirus invades about 47 countries worldwide, drastic measures are being taken to help in treating the virus. Currently, a new coronavirus vaccine is ready to be tested in America.
About The Virus
Coronavirus, despite the myths attached to it, has a fatality rate of 2%. The virus first spread in Wuhan, China in mid January 2020, and has since been detected in more than 80,000 people.
While there have been some speculations over the virus and how it spread, here are some proven facts on it:
- Direct contact with someone infected with the virus can get you infected
- Raw foods should be cooked thoroughly to avoid any infectious viruses.
- Frequent use of soap and alcohol-based sanitizing gel might help prevent you from it.
- People are advised to cough and sneeze into tissues.
- There are no known cases of pets infecting their owners.
- The common flu kills 60 times more people.
- In most cases, people with a weak immune system are affected greatly by the virus.
- Presently there are no known vaccines or medication can help prevent the virus.
- The airborne droplets of fluids don’t last too long for it to affect users of public transport and other properties.
A Groundbreaking Record; New Coronavirus Vaccine
In just 42 days, after the virus was first detected in China, an American bio-tech firm has developed a new coronavirus vaccine. The vaccine is ready for phase-1, in which it will be tested on humans to research its effects.
Researchers from Moderna sent the vaccine called mRNA-1273 sent the vaccine to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) for testing in just 6 weeks.
It will be ready for testing as early as April and will be tested on a group of 45 people. Volunteers will be randomly given the drug or a placebo for the successful monitoring of the vaccine. They will be monitored for a period of ten days, with checkups scheduled every two days.
In the past, researchers took over 20 months to develop a vaccine ready for human testing, for viral diseases like SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome). Even-though SARS has had a mortality rate of about 10%, with new and advanced technology, it has become easier for the firm to develop a vaccine. There’s a dire need, at a global level, to have vaccines ready and any and every virus or bacteria that might affect people in the future.
Here’s what the president of Moderna, Dr. Stephen Hoge said about the vaccine:
mRNA is really like a software molecule in biology. So our vaccine is like the software program to the body, which then goes and makes the [viral] proteins that can generate an immune response.
With the new genetic method of producing vaccines that create proteins in the body to fight the virus, people have found hope when they need it the most.
Vaccine For Ebola
In other news, a vaccine that was developed for Ebola, called Remdesivir, has also shown tremendous results. The vaccine was tested on animals infected by the two related coronaviruses, SARS and MERS.
While even after the mRNA vaccine proves to be successful, it can take about a year to eighteen months in further testing and approvals before it is made available to the public.
We hope the new coronavirus vaccine relieves the stress that has been spreading all around the world.
Have anything to add? Let us know!